Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I know their is tweeks and mods out there so your phone doesn't rotate to landscape when you don't want it to....but I was wondering if anyone knows of a tweek where whenever you open Safari, mail or notes it just automatically starts in landscape mode??

Whenever I open these apps I always firstly just switch them to landscape before doing anything....so if it happened automatically it would be much more convenient.

Thanks in advance everyone!

James

evilgreg

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2007
I know their is tweeks and mods out there so your phone doesn't rotate to landscape when you don't want it to....but I was wondering if anyone knows of a tweek where whenever you open Safari, mail or notes it just automatically starts in landscape mode??

Whenever I open these apps I always firstly just switch them to landscape before doing anything....so if it happened automatically it would be much more convenient.

Thanks in advance everyone!

James

is it really that hard to just tilt your phone?

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I certainly see the value in this for some and would be interested to see the response. Thanks for asking the question.

Bdubb

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
I am sorry I am posting without an answer for you also, but unlike the post above, I do not see a real value in this "mod", maybe that's the reason why No one has ever bothered to make one.

Seriously, I have the iphone in front of me now, I started "Notes" while holding the phone in portrait mode and then rotated to landscape mode and proceeded to type, but I had to wait about half a second for the app to also rotate to landscape m. to catch up with my quick hands.

The fact is you are always going to rotate the device physically even if you start off holding it landscape it literally takes less than a second to rotate.

If that 1/2 second wait is such an issue and inconvenience for you ..than..maan I would love to trade "problems" and "Inconveniences" of day to day life with you. ;)

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
let me clear this up for you guys...

I use the tweak SBRotator which puts the spring board in landscape, that's why I wanted a tweak to automatically open landscape capable apps in landscape.

All the rotation inhibitors you mentioned only stop the phone from rotating to landscape, so they offer the opposite of what I inquired about.

Thanks anyways everyone, I appreciate the comments.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
now that 4.0 is out and there is an option to force the phone into portrait only...is there also an option to force things into landscape only that I'm not seeing an option for somewhere?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
now that 4.0 is out and there is an option to force the phone into portrait only...is there also an option to force things into landscape only that I'm not seeing an option for somewhere?

Thanks in advance guys and gals!

I noticed that too, there is a portrait lock, but landscape lock. Wouldn't have hurt Apple to put in in there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.