Is there a backup software similar to carbon copy?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by LeandrodaFL, Dec 10, 2011.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I need a recomendation for a great backup software for windows, please provide a free option.

And if possible, one for linux too..

thanks everyone.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

If windows 7 then the "included" software works just fine.

You can choose to create a system image ( which works for a comprehensive restore via recovery disk or the windows 7 installation disk ) or do a backup or do "both".

3. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

If you are prepared to pay, then I recommend ViceVersa Pro : http://www.tgrmn.com/index.htm. Excellent stuff.
    My issue is finding an OSX equivalent - CCC isn't as good as VVPro, but seems to be the best available.

4. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Windows Vista....I will try WD Smartare. Btw, I use WD Anywhere Backup on the mac, and together with Time Machine, its perfect.

Ill give smartware a shot at windows. How bout Linux?

5. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

2011 MBA with boot camp Win 7 partition. How does a full Restore work with an install disk? Does the install disk only see the Win 7 partition or does it try to restore using the entire hard drive (and wiping out my OS X)?

6. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

7. johnhurley, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I last tested this on a 2011 macbook pro ( that eventually bricked itself ... long story ) and I have not "yet" tested it on my 2011 MBA with same setup as yours. I really really should do that soon!

I tested by deleting bootcamp partition, re-created bootcamp partition ( same size as original that the windows system image was created from ), got into bootcamp setup which booted me into the windows install disc.

Now I forget if I went ahead and re-formatted the partition here as NTFS or not before invoking the restore ... sorry been a while ... pretty sure I just invoked the recovery from the system image.

The recovery worked fine and the partition did now show up as NTFS.

*** So it seems like the recovery utility just seems the bootcamp partition when using the mac os x setup. Might work a little differently if people were using rEFIt ( dunno for sure )?

I have a feeling many people are not aware that they need to figure out how to backup both environments!

8. Vembu StoreGrid macrumors newbie

Hi LeandrodaFL,

"StoreGrid", a backup software which can perform offsite backups added with plenty of useful features. You can download the trial builds from the following URL. http://storegrid.vembu.com/online-backup/data-backup.php

With StoreGrid, you can also offer support for Windows and linux platforms as well.

Regards,
    Ambika
    vembu.com

9. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The OP asked for "free" ( not trial ) backup software alternatives.

The windows 7 os comes built-in with ( no additional cost ) backup choices.

10. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Guys all these softwares back up data in their own proprietory file types. I.e only that software can restore the back up. For me thats a deal breaker.

That's y I use power toy called synctoy.. It's in version 2.1. Trust me guys, after using that you will never want to use anything else.

Give it a shot.. I almost changed my softwares every few months to find the best. This is the best and is free. :)

11. Heavertron macrumors regular

Download Robocopy and write a script. That was my only solution as my media drive is exFat formatted. Robocopy works great and the files don't change format.

12. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Jesus, from what Im seeing, WD software is still one of the best. Its the same as memeo, or at least a very similar software