Is there a battery test for iPhone 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Peter Franks, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Without going to Apple store to be told by a 'genius' there's nothing wrong, Is there a test you can do yourself to check if battery is a dud?

It does go down very fast and that's just usual emails texts calls. I can't even use apps because of battery. Had it since December and it's painful. I miss my old '4'.

2. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

It's not a test, only reporting battery capacity. But if you jailbreak, there are several apps that report battery capacity (battery info, battery detective). Or if you install ibackupbot on your computer, it will also report current capacity. The majority of app on iTunes App Store, only estimates battery rundown time. Battery doc may be the only one that reports battery capacity.

Anyone know exactly what tests are done at the Genius Bar?

3. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh thanks, not understanding of Jailbreaking.. so couldn't go there..

All I found on your battery testing question is:

Update: I was informed after posting this that the Apple battery test only runs on the iPhone 5 and up.

I know, you hate making a Genius Bar appointment because it's loud and crazy in there, but I have a good reason to add this to the list.

According to my sources, Apple has rolled out a new 'Extended Battery Life Test' for all iOS technicians that allows them to see a detailed report of battery usage on your device. It takes only a few minutes to run and, from what I've heard, is comprehensive. I have not had a chance to see this test for myself, but my friends tell me it rocks.

The other rare possibility is that your physical battery is defective, and the technicians can replace it for free if your iOS device is under warranty, or very cheaply if it's not.

courtesy of: http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-drain

4. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Oops, it wasn't clear the way I typed it. There are 3 options

1) jailbreak to get several app options

2) software to install on your computer to check battery capacity on connected phone

3) it was only recently mentioned in a recent topic, but Battery Doc available for free on iTunes App Store allows you to monitor battery capacity without jailbreaking or using your computer to check current capacity. This is option I'd recommend to you to use.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

There are many reports over the net that an iOS update/patch is imminent and probably this month because so many have reported that the last update impacted battery life?

When I got this phone in December it definitely wasn't as bad as it is now. I did the current update a few days ago and it's just as bad as it was before. My problems started when I did the previous update. Now, that wasn't the one before this one, because I never bothered with it, it was the one prior to that, ..

7.1.2 is the current one. So I avoided the 7.1.1 and my problems started with 7.0.6. Does that ring any bells with anyone else or are you getting problems with the current one. I always see reports about battery life after these updates in truth. It's a real shame they can't sort it out and let us get through a day with reasonable power and still being able to use all we need to. My enjoyment of any apps ended a long time ago because I have to preserve battery all the time.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Don't think 7.1.1 or 7.1.2 or even 7.1 had any truly widespread or sustained battery issues for most people. I also don't think there have been much reporting about another update coming in particular linked to battery issues. At this point it's not likely that there will be another iOS 7 update, or one dealing with some sort of battery issues as those don't exactly seem to be prevalent and/or particularly tied to some iOS 7 update.

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks C. I read the update was coming this month because of battery and calendar fixes. I'll see if I can find article again.

9. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's another report regarding it

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/24467/20140707/ios-7-1-3-release-date-bug-fixes-from-apple-etc.htm

'The exact date for the launch of iOS 7.1.3 update hasn't been announced yet, but speculations are that it would be released within this month'.

It is also being said that the new update iOS 7.1.3 will solve the issue of battery drain, which is again one of the problems being faced by iPhone users since the iOS 7.1.2 update. Users had reported that the battery consumption on their device had increased highly after the last update served by Apple.

10. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Can you please link to this? Searching for "Battery Doc" leads to one app and not sure if it's that one. And searching for "Battery doctor" yields a ton of results.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It seems that there aren't that many posts about it, and those that do exist aren't really from known and/or larger information sources. Most link back essentially to one reply which doesn't necessarily say anything about iOS 7.1.3 or even about potential battery issues (just that a calendar issue would be fixed in a future iOS update, which could even mean simply iOS 8 perhaps). That said, certainly doesn't preclude from another iOS 7 release happening, but somehow it doesn't seem as likely so far based on what I've seen. We'll see I guess.

12. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

In terms of the 5S, I do see that a lot of people say the battery is an improvement on the '4/4S'. For me, the 4 lasted longer, not much, but was better than what I have now. I'd sacrifice the thickness for better life battery. The '4' wasn't ever in my mind thick. I never had the '5' so can't compare to the '5S'. I don't see software having impact on battery life really. I'd be absolutely amazed if an update extended battery life. I've done all the usual sacrifices. Location/Push/background app refresh/brightness. I can confirm it makes no difference. So have to just buy more chargers

13. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Marginally relevant to the above link. This latest iOS update is the buggiest freeziest, done loads of weird things to the 5S yet. Worst update. So many apps have frozen. And it's done strange things that have only happened since this update. Other than the horrendously bad battery life, it was working fine prior

14. rigormortis, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

Remote diag.

The question was, "without having to go to the Genius Bar is there a way to find out my battery's capacity" ?

Here is one answer that no one suggested yet. That is " remote ios diagnostics "

The problem that I have seen with this is that remote ios diagnostics doesn't give you the results. You need to call AppleCare with the case number and ask them what the test said. Even if it passes or fails it tells you to call AppleCare or schedule an appointment

Directions
    On your computer
    Go to support.apple.com
    Click on iPhone
    Click on repair & service
    Click on battery & power
    Click on Start a service request
    Click on battery questions or troubleshooting
    Click on send serial number
    Enter your phone number
    Go to your iPhone
    You will get a text message on your iPhone
    Click on the link
    This will launch ios diagnostics and you will get a ticket number
    Click on extended or quick test
    Wait for it to send. This may take a few minutes.

Go back to your computer and wait for the health check to finish
    I got impatient and clocked on recheck

Now u get a page asking you if you want to call or chat apple. I guess now you pester them with your serial number and ticket and ask them what the results were.

" I recently updated to ios 7 " is still a valid exception if you don't want to pay the $19 if you do not have AppleCare.,

after you pestered them they will give you this:
    OS DiagnosticsResults
    2014-08-02 04:59 GMT
    Channel: EL
    Device
    xyz’s iPhone
    No Issue Identified
    Hardware Model
    iPhone5,2
    Serial Number
    XXXXXXXXXXXX
    iOS Version
    7.1.2 (Latest)
    Last Restore
    2014-07-17 05:56:00 GMT
    Wi-Fi
    Condition
    Pass
    Explanation
    For more information:
    iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections
    Battery Health
    Condition
    Pass
    Battery Level
    100% (Battery level when last plugged in: 100%)
    Fully Charged
    Yes
    Explanation
    The battery is functioning normally.

15. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

I've never heard of remote anything like this before. Is it common? I know there's a fault with it so if it comes back as 'functioning normally', that's it? How can they access a battery remotely. Is that valid do you think?

16. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone else done this and got back knackered battery results?

17. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

If I leave my iPhone 5 3G on it drains extraordinarily so have you tried switching that off like I do and only remain with cellular data on (E)?

18. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there a battery test for iPhone 5s

It's on WiFi most of day which cuts off 3G anyway so I don't know if that would help? It spends most of time on 'E' when not near wifi because EE signal so poor. If I turn off cellular data it's off. It doesn't go to 'E' it has nothing. I only see 'E' when cellular data on and no 3G signal