Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smokedogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
I tried searching for a thread where this is discussed, but could not find one. Feel free to merge if there is a better place. There are so many new plans being advertised I just cant figure out if it is best to stay or leave

I am on a grandfathered Att unlimited plan, Nation 450 w/Rollover at the end of 2 year contract, Iphone 6

450 minutes at $39.99
unlimited text at $10.00
unlimited data at $35.00
free mobile to mobile

total $84.99

I also have a 23% FAN discount as well, so after discount and taxes im paying about $80 a month all in.

I use about 16GB in data per month on average
I have over 4000 rollover minutes.

i was offered a new Iphone 7plus 128GB at $419 to renew another 2 years. I can get $219 for my current iphone 6 at itsworthmore, so basically $200 out of pocket for the new phone.

Is this a good deal? Is there something better that would make more sense for me?

Thanks for your help.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
How are you signing another 2 year contract? AT&T did away with those almost a year ago.

As if its a good plan for you, only you can answer that. Compare other plans that are available with AT&T and do a cost analysis comparison. Personally, I'm not giving up my unlimited until AT&T takes it from me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
How are you signing another 2 year contract? AT&T did away with those almost a year ago.

As if its a good plan for you, only you can answer that. Compare other plans that are available with AT&T and do a cost analysis comparison. Personally, I'm not giving up my unlimited until AT&T takes it from me.

Actually they sorta did away with it. People on these grandfather plans and businesses still can get deals for signing contracts (very case by case basis). My GF got the 7 for $199 and a 2 year contract through her company. It actually would have been free if she wanted the 32GB.

To the OP, you are not going to find a better deal than that. Without question, keep your plan and jump all over that deal.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Actually they sorta did away with it. People on these grandfather plans and businesses still can get deals for signing contracts. My GF got the 7 for $199 and a 2 year contract through her company. It actually would have been free if she wanted the 32GB.

To the OP, you are not going to find a better deal than that. Without question, keep your plan and jump all over that deal.

I'm on a grandfather FAN Premier account and I no longer have the option to upgrade via 2year contracts, only Next or Full Price. Thats why I am using the IUP. Weird.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'm on a grandfather FAN Premier account and I no longer have the option to upgrade via 2year contracts, only Next or Full Price. Thats why I am using the IUP. Weird.

I have no idea what criteria they are using. I understand the businesses getting deals, but I have also heard of others signing two year contracts still.

Actually ATT and Verizon currently have deals where you get the iPhone 7 for free if you sign a 2 year contract and trade in a 6 or newer phone. Basically they credit your account the monthly cost of the phone, up to $650.

smokedogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
I am not sure, but that is what the AT&T rep offered me. She said something about me being a Legacy (not sure if that was the word he used) customer so I could still get a 2 year offer. The plan works well for me, but with so many newer offers from carriers (its a little confusing), I wondered if there was something out there that was better for me based on my usage and could save some $$.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am not sure, but that is what the AT&T rep offered me. She said something about me being a Legacy (not sure if that was the word he used) customer so I could still get a 2 year offer. The plan works well for me, but with so many newer offers from carriers (its a little confusing), I wondered if there was something out there that was better for me based on my usage and could save some $$.

Keep the plan and take the offer. If you use a lot of data the unlimited plans are so valuable. One of the few ways left to get unlimited data is through MVNO carriers and most of them cap your speeds.

smokedogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2016
Thank you!

Actually they sorta did away with it. People on these grandfather plans and businesses still can get deals for signing contracts (very case by case basis). My GF got the 7 for $199 and a 2 year contract through her company. It actually would have been free if she wanted the 32GB.

JSway

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Keep your unlimited. I have unlimited on Verizon and almost changed my plan. Sometimes I do over 20 GB of data. The overages alone would be double of what I'm currently paying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.