Is There a BIG Difference Between New & Old AirPort Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HappyDude20, Jan 9, 2011.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I currently own the old, original version of Apple's AirPort Express.

In about a month I'll be moving to both China and Japan for six months and was wondering if the new AE that supports the wifi N network truly is much faster.

As I said, I currently have the original AE. I was thinking about purchasing the new AE so I could then leave the one I currently have here at home in the states and take the new version with me to Asia. The people here at home in the states hardly need super fast Internet.

Nevertheless, thought I'd ask...

Currently I'm finding the old, original version of AE on eBay for about $45, while the new version at about $70.

...simply wondering if the new version is worth it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From 802.11N vs G

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

does this mean that all connected devices must be N capable?

In japan it'll be my MacBook Pro which is compatible, but also my friends old windows laptop which I'm sure isn't. :confused:

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. Like most Wireless-N routers, the Airport Express is compatible with 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, and draft 802.11n.

5. jenzjen, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I believe the network speed will be reduced to the slowest device on the network.
    I know AirPort Extreme is dual band, but AirPort Express isn't.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html
    http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Oh man, that sucks. I know for the most part the only three devices that will ever be connected will be my MBP, my (soon-to-be) iPod Touch and of course my buddy's windows laptop. It a few years old, but is running vista, so I gotta confirm if it can do N.

8. waw74 macrumors 68030

the fastest speeds with N are using 5GHz, iphone 4s and ipod touches use 2.4GHz N, so if you want your ipod to connect, you'll have to use "N (b/g compatible)" which is slower, but still faster than G.

that being said, if you're only doing internet, G (at least with a decent signal) is faster than most home internet connections in the states, so the only place you'll see a speed increase is on local network file transfers.