Is there a big difference between these models?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, Dec 5, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have an Oct 08 alu 2.4 MB. I am considering upgrading to the 13" MBP 2.53, is there a massive difference or is it not worth it?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Ram, Video Card, Hard Drive Speed and what you are doing with it def. plays a factor...

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I just find mine a little sluggish when I try to use Windows 7 in Parallels on it

4. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Definitely not worth it. You won't really notice any improvement. Have you tried upgrading your Ram in your current machine? That'll do wonders. Also, I'm not sure if it's the same in Parallels, but in VMWare you can adjust how much Ram/how many CPU's the virtual image makes use of. Adjusting these will likely increase your performance far better than getting a new computer.

EDIT:

According to your sig, your macbook alu has 2GB. It can take a max of 6GB, but it's prohibitively expensive and you probably don't need it.

Buy this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/8566DDR3S4GP/

look for the settings I mentioned, and if you haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard, do so.

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Agreed, not worth it. Wait a few months to see if Apple's rumored next generation of MBPs will be a major advance. I think there's a good chance they will be.

6. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...even with 4GB of RAM a VM isn't going to be "super fast" and your sig says you only have 2GB of RAM... the extra 2 GB of RAM in your machine would be the more cost effective thing to try before buying a new computer... but bootcamping into the other OS is still the most efficient use of your system resources...

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

What graphics card? The aluminum MacBooks have the same card as the 13" MBPs. Hard drive speed? MBP HDs aren't any faster than the older aluminum ones.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

My VMWare Boot Camp partition works just as well as the real thing for 99% of things I need it for.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...some of the performance difference is your 3.5" desktop model HDD vs a 2.5" laptop HDD... neither is bad, just not optimal...

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

It's probably more the fact that you can only give it one processing core (or a combination of the lack of RAM and processing cores, I could be wrong though), I'd wait until the new MBP range comes out before buying a MBP.

Are you using SL or Leopard? what version of Parallels are you using? 4 or 5?