Is there a big difference in quality between these to monitors?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by techlover828, Nov 19, 2007.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Hey,

I'm looking into buying a new monitor (23" or bigger). I would really like an ACD but they are just so expensive so am looking at dells. There is two I am lookin at. Monitor 1 is cheeper and seems to have a cheeper panel. Monitor 2 is more expensive and has a better panel, plus it has an adjustable stand. Is there a big difference between the two? There is 200 dollar difference and I just want to know if there is a big difference. Also how do these two compare to the ACD?

Thanks guys

PS: Do ACDs have a DVI and VGA port? just incase I end up going for one of those.

2. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

3. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I haven't looked into which panels those two monitors use, but you can probably just google it. I believe that the 2407 uses a better (higher-bit) screen panel, but hopefully someone here knows for sure.

The other BIG difference that I between the two screens is the connectivity. If my memory serves me right, the cheaper model only has DVI and VGA connections, while the more expensive one ALSO HAS S-Video, Composite, Component, Integrated 9-in-2 media card reader/slots, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, and a Kensington security port that make it awesome for video game systems, dvd players, and all sorts of home theatre equipment as well as a computer hub. It's more like a media hub plus a TV without a tuner and with a different aspect ratio... if you follow me. Go with the 2407 if you can afford it.

Hope that helps,

Ado

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I use Dell LCD's..

The best ones always have the "HC" at the end of the part number.So in your case monitor number 2 is the better one.

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

6. jablko macrumors member

I understand the the Dell 2407s that were initially shipping and reviewed were excellent, but since then Dell has sometimes put in cheaper panels, so while many people get the great monitor they advertise, some people get something not-so-great with the same name.

This panel lottery is idiotic on Dell's part because the good buzz they initially generated by releasing a great monitor at a great price has been overpowered on the display-oriented hardware sites with distrust.

All-in-all, I'd rather get the Samsung 244t just because I at least know what I'm getting from Samsung. (The 245t has just been released but most of it's new features are great for gaming and movies but detrimental to photo and text editing.)

The other thing you'll hear a lot about is the difference between the ACD's S-IPS panel and the cheaper PVA and MVA panels. Basically, there are three types of panels:

S-IPS have uniform color from all viewing angles--this is great if you depend on designing for print as your primary source of income. It's also the slowest (12-16ms) and most expensive panel type. Just about all 30 inch monitors use these but in the 23-28 inch market, only Apple, NEC, Lacie and some other graphic design-oriented manufacturers use them.

PVA, MVA have much better response times (5-8ms) than S-IPS and the color shift from side viewing is barely noticable. These are "best of both worlds" monitors. This is what's in the more expensive 24 inch Dells, Samsungs, and even the 24 inch iMacs.

TN panels are the cheapest and colors change drastically when viewed from the side. However, they also have fantastic response times (2-5ms). They are good for the budget-conscious and gamers who think they can see a difference between 2ms and 6ms. Just about every screen you see on the shelf at Best Buy uses a TN panel, as does the 20 inch iMac.

I'd recommend the PVA panels like Dell's and Samsung's for just about anything--video editing, Web site design, casual image editing, gaming and regular old office chores like spreadsheets and text editing. You should still expect to pay $500 or more for them though. If you can't or would rather not afford that, there are some lovely TN panels that will get the job done, just make sure you go to a local retailer and see the image quality for yourself before you order one.

7. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

Thanks, that's very helpful