Is there a browser that actually uses the retina resolution

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shorties, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

The ipad browser natively reports a 1024x768 resolution so that websites (while still are high DPI) are confined to those deminsions, I was wondering if there is a workaround or third party browser app that lets you browse the web with much more screen space by reporting the native retina resolution rather then 1024x768.

2. MR1324 macrumors 6502

I think the reason they havent done this is because everything would be incredibly small.

3. DS3 macrumors 6502a

I could see this being useful if the iPad had the ability to run multiple apps... pixel true web on the left, some other app on the right.

As is.. can't imagine why you'd want it

But no, none of the browsers Ive used have offered that ability.

4. hoon2999 macrumors regular

hmmm not a bad idea but Apple wont care unless...

once iPad 3rd gen gets jailbroken, some dev will make those kinds of cydia app, lots of people like it, Apple steals it and implement them in next iOS update........profit

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

By "steal," I assume you mean "hire Cydia dev and pay for innovative feature for iOS," right?

6. hoon2999 macrumors regular

from what i remember, sometimes they hire devs. and sometimes they just steal them.

7. DS3 macrumors 6502a

There was an announcement for a cydia tweak called "polyonix" that would run 2-3 iPhone apps at once last july. Had screenshots and he said it mostly worked.

Then the guy never gave another update and never posted a video or anything... he was a real dev who had released some popular tweaks but I kind of suspect he just had the idea for it, mocked up some screens and then could never actually get it to work.

Really wish you could watch a video and browse the web at the same time.