Is there a c language reference in Xcode docs?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by deacLL, Mar 7, 2013.

1. deacLL macrumors newbie

New to Xcode and love the handy documentation for Objective C, especially since I'm just learning it. But at times I need to check C syntax and math library calls, etc.

Is there a C language reference in Xcode docs?

2. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Not that I've seen, but I've not found anything missing either.
    Everything found on C specific forums/docs has applied so far.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I tried a few standard C functions and they all showed up in the Xcode docs browser just fine. It looks like they're apart of the OS X Man Pages.

4. deacLL thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping for a complete C Reference on-line

Thanks much for the comments. I see some C in the Xcode docs such a search for "cos", etc., but haven't found things like "switch" syntax (which I tend to forget. ;-) ).

I found a good start at http://www.learnconline.com/ which has a lot of simple stuff.

I was hoping for a complete C Reference on-line or on the computer as an app or perhaps an ebook such as Harbison & Steele I'd be willing to buy. I may just buy the hard copy. ;-) Thanks.

5. ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

This is correct. The C API docs are part of the OS X man pages. You can even try it:
    Code:
    man 3 printf
    There are two printfs in the manpages, one for shell scripting and one for C.

6. deacLL thread starter macrumors newbie

OS X Man Pages

ConCat, Thanks, I did pass over ArtOfWarfare's mention of the OS X Man Pages and forgot to revisit it.

Is there a pdf or graphical viewer of it or are we talking about Terminal? Terminal command line would be okay - I did try "man 3 printf" which got no hit but "man printf" did, but I wonder if that's a bash result.

Sorry, I'm just learning the Mac environment, and thanks for your patience and help.

----------

I suspect I need to change my MANPATH since it is currently empty and "man 3" returns no result.

Can you tell me what to set it to or how I can find that out?

thanks again,
    deac

7. ConCat, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013

ConCat macrumors 6502a

ConCat

I was just using that as an example. My setup so heavily customized, it's possible that man 3 printf wont work for you for some reason, don't know. Xcode does have access to these man pages though. Xcode>Window Menu>Organizer>Documentation>Search for "printf" or whatever other C function you're curious about. Alt-clicking works too.

I included a screenshot of what you should see.

Attached Files:

8. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

The standard library functions and unix functions are available as man pages in the Xcode docs. I don't think there is any documentation on the core C language however (things like switch statements, the modulo operator, etc.) That's what the K&R C book is for. Everybody who ever writes a line of C should have that book on their shelf.