Is there a cable that charges the iPhone but doesn't carry data or sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by uncleungie, Oct 23, 2011.

1. uncleungie macrumors newbie

I have a Honda Fit. I want to charge my iPhone with the car's built in USB port, but when I plug the phone into it, the car automatically hijacks the music interface and forces me to use Honda's crippled music controls through the dashboard. Does anyone know of a cable that would charge the iPhone, but wouldn't support data or syncing? A charge-only cable, if you will. If not, is there any way to modify Apple's cable to achieve this? Thanks.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

there is no modification. Why not get a ciggerate lighter to usb adapter?

3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I have this cable I got from Amazon. One end charges and the other syncs. I suppose you could just cut off the one that syncs and use the charging end only. Pretty cheap so not like it's a huge loss or anything.

4. dgstan macrumors 6502a

It would be easy enough to get a schematic of the pinouts and disable the pins that handle the data.

5. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Get a cheap sync cord, strip off a bit of the insulation off and cut either the white or the green wire and give it a try. If it still triggers it cut the other white/green. The power is on The red and black according to this link:

http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Google is your friend:
    http://matias.ca/tuneblocker/

I'm sure there are more options but the short answer to your question is yes.

Sure there is. Leave only the power pins connected. I'm not saying it's a practical solution. I wouldn't bother attempting this myself, knowing my lack of skill and patience.