Is there a car dock with a 30-pin passthrough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPIndustrie, Aug 26, 2008.

1. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Hey,

Just wanted to ask - anyone know of a car dock or car kit for the iPhone/iPod with a 30 Pin/dock connector passthrough?

I have an iPod interface in my car, however of course it doesn't charge the new 3G. I'd like to keep using it because it has a cleaner sound (vs. the aux) and allows me to switch tracks from the steering wheel controls. I have a dock with an aux connector (i think Belkin tunedock or something), but I'd rather have a dock that charges, plus allows for output through an ipod connector.

P.S. - I just realized this belongs in the accessories forum. Mods, please move. Thanks!

2. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

3. JPIndustrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

this one has a passthrough connector so it may work, but it doesn't list the iPhone in the compatibility matrix, so you'd need to double check first

5. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

Yea, the bottom of the gooseneck plugs into the car charger.

6. napabill macrumors newbie

Same problem

I also have the iPod kit that is tied into the car's system with aux input, and full control from the steering wheel. As I understand it, the new 3g iPhone uses a different pin configuration for its power input (USB vs FireWire). I'd like to keep the connection in the glovebox where it is currently, and wonder if there is a converter plug that would allow the existing plug to be converted to a USB power pin configuration?