Is there a chance Apple might replace my dropped iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mdhansen5, May 17, 2011.

1. mdhansen5 macrumors member

I'm a High School student and I accidentally dropped my first gen iPad this morning. :( Of course it landed on the corner, and the case is slightly dented, causing the power button to be stuck. Their is very little damage otherwise, but it just causes the power button not to work.

I'm planning to go into the Genius Bar this weekend and see if I can get anything from them. I've heard stories of Apple giving people a one time replacement for an accident. $300 is just too much for me right now, and it's just a small dent.

If anyone has any experience or any advice, let me know. It would be appreciated greatly.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They certainly aren't obligated to replace it, but who knows... you might get lucky.

3. dmmcgowan macrumors member

I have a friend that has gotten Apple to replace 3 different devices. The first time they did it as a one time courtesy but then the other two times was simply sweet talking them. Give it a shot and be persistent.

4. wasabinuki macrumors newbie

Good luck with this - you might get lucky. The worst case they don't fix it and you still have a dented iPad. Too bad you cannot get insurance for iPads the way you can iPhones.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

ask politely ... what have you got to lose?

good luck

6. mdhansen5 thread starter macrumors member

7. ninerfan macrumors regular

You can get full coverage insurance for your iPad through Squaretrade.com. It is very reasonably priced and covers accidents such as dropping and water damage. They are great to deal with. If you use code word SPRING at checkout, you receive a discount. Highly rated company.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

They technically aren't supposed to, but in reality they might. One time I dropped my first gen iPhone and it landed on the corner and I had the same issue as you, only my issue was worse because the power button being jammed forced the phone to keep restarting. Anyway, I told them the truth about what happened instead of trying to say it was a defect (there was no dent, just a damaged power button). They were nice enough to replace it for me. So you never know!

9. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

iPad replaced for iPad 2

Don't mean to hijack the post, but I'm having a problem with the volume cutting out on my first gen iPad and am thinking of taking it in to the genius bar. It's not yet a year old so still within the warranty. If they have to replace it, would they replace it with an iPad 2 since they don't have first gen's in stock anymore?

10. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

They may not have new first gens in stock but they have replacement (reburb) first gens in stock. You will get a first a gen not a second gen. You should of used Mroogle and if that didn't work started your own thread.

11. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Do you have accidental damage cover on your home insurance?
    May be worth a look if no joy with Apple and if the policy excess isn`t too high.

12. surf1der macrumors newbie

My mother dropped her ipad 2 and it cracked in the corner. First apple store i went to went to genius bar and he said it would be $300 fee to replace it. I talked to manager and explained to him nicely that my mother had bought our family 3 ipads (64 gig wifi only), 3 iphones, countless ipods, a 17 inch mbp, and 2 15 inch mbps within the last 4-5 years. I mentioned that i read some customers have recieved a 1 time accidental damage fee waiver. His response was flatly,"we don't do that". By the way this was the apple store in Mission Viejo mall in California. I left without paying the fee.

Fast forward a few days later. Went up to San Ramon to visit my brother and took my mother's ipad with me to try again at a different store. I told the guy nicely the same story and sure enough he gave me a 1 time accidental damage fee waiver. Replaced it for free. I had to be a little persistent telling him that i read that they sometimes give 1 time replacements for free.

13. info macrumors member

info

Apple is bending over backwards to build good will among it's customers. I'm not surprised the second store went the extra mile. Great news!