Is there a chance the retina mac will be updated this summer ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DBZmusicboy01, May 2, 2014.

  1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2011
    #1
    Should I wait until that or should I wait until spring of next year ? Is there a chance there will be a redesign ? Or just specs ? I don't want the next MacBook to be too different
     
  2. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

    SCOLANATOR

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2013
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Nope, Intel Broadwell chips aren't ready until late Q3 at the earliest and I hardly think they would bother releasing an upgrade without having new processors to put in them. If you can wait till the very end of 2014 or perhaps early 2015 then wait, otherwise buy - you will not be disappointed.
     
  3. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2009
    #3
    The update that I would expect is very slight bumps to the clock speed within the current line of processors. No redesign, and probably no other upgrades. Maybe price.
     
  4. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2012
    #4
    My prediction is minor spec bump in next few weeks, possibly a small price decrease, but nothing major like Broadwell until September/October.
     
  5. unknownfps macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    #5
    Probably similar to Air's recent small update: 100 mhz processor update and slower SSD speed with $100 price drop

    In late September/early October, hopefully 10-12 hour battery life with Broadwell processors
     
  6. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #6
    MBP upgrades are like clockwork. 8-month cycles. One generation is usually an architecture upgrade; the next is tweaks to that architecture and to the pricing thereof.

    By that pattern we're due for a minor update to Haswell in June, and we'll see Broadwell early next year. If we're lucky we might see some 20nm Maxwell GPUs this year, but I wouldn't guarantee it.
     
  7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2008
    #7
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a small adjustment over the summer. A price reduction would make the most sense, especially for the 15". The value is pretty bad right now, 2k$ for a laptop with integrated graphics is a hard sale. I suspect Apple sells lots of laptop to college students over the summer, it would make sense to have a competitive line-up leading to that.

    Hopefully, the retina panels are dropping in price as more manufacturers are using them.
     

Share This Page