Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2017
I have an Apple Pencil 1 which I use for my iPad Mini 5. It came time to get a bigger iPad, so I got a refurbed iPad Air 3 because a) it was much cheaper than the iPad Air 4, and b) it also uses the Apple Pencil 1, saving me that cost.

But one other thing that really drove me to this decision is that I have a desktop charging stand for my AP1 which works perfectly—small, out of the way. I don’t plug it into the lightning port of the iPad to charge it, or use the cable.

But, as far as I can tell, and from all my searching online, on Amazon, I’ve also found that there doesn’t appear to be a charger for the AP2 you can buy. What I wouldn’t like it always having to have it attached to my iPad to charge it, because I’m not always using the Pencil with it.

Am I just missing something? Are there no external chargers for the Apple Pencil 2?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The Apple Pencil 2 charges on top of a compatible iPad. There is no separate charger. Your iPad is not compatible with Pencil 2.

iPad Models
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
iPad Air (4th generation)

Reactions: ckoerner

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2017
The Apple Pencil 2 charges on top of a compatible iPad. There is no separate charger. Your iPad is not compatible with Pencil 2.

iPad Models
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation)
iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation)
iPad Air (4th generation)

Yes, I understand that. But if I want to charge it separately from the iPad, like the AP1, has anyone developed a charger that I’m just not finding. I wouldn’t want the pencil always stuck to my iPad to charge.

Last edited:

Brewc

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
SouthWestern Virginia
I have an Apple Pencil 1 which I use for my iPad Mini 5. It came time to get a bigger iPad, so I got a refurbed iPad Air 3 because a) it was much cheaper than the iPad Air 4, and b) it also uses the Apple Pencil 1, saving me that cost.

But one other thing that really drove me to this decision is that I have a desktop charging stand for my AP1 which works perfectly—small, out of the way. I don’t plug it into the lightning port of the iPad to charge it, or use the cable.

But, as far as I can tell, and from all my searching online, on Amazon, I’ve also found that there doesn’t appear to be a charger for the AP2 you can buy. What I wouldn’t like it always having to have it attached to my iPad to charge it, because I’m not always using the Pencil with it.

Am I just missing something? Are there no external chargers for the Apple Pencil 2?
What is this stand you use for the pencil 1?

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
If you don’t need the pressure sensitivity of the Apple pencils, there are a handful of 3rd party pencils that are very goo.
The charge quickly, have a long usage time, standby time is very long, and charges through a built in USB-C port.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2017
What is this stand you use for the pencil 1?

The MoKo Charging Standon Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WX81XL2). It works, it’s black, as is everything on my desk so nothing is distracting, including my Pencil, which wears a black sheath. It keeps the pencil somewhere I always find it and it doesn’t waste space laying around like when it’s plugged into a cable. I also like that they put a spare USB charging port on front of the base, so you can plug other things in for charging.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 21, 2017
If you don’t need the pressure sensitivity of the Apple pencils, there are a handful of 3rd party pencils that are very goo.
The charge quickly, have a long usage time, standby time is very long, and charges through a built in USB-C port.

Thanks, but pressure sensitivity is the primary reason I bought the Apple Pencil. Until then, I was happy with the Logitech Crayon, which also does a darn fine job for when I was redlining documents.

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks. That’s the idea I was getting but wondered if I was missing something.

To me, that’s a limitation about the AP2.
I have a case that holds the pencil in place so you don’t really notice it. I don’t use the pencil often but still don’t find it gets in the way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.