iPad Is there a cheaper alternative to the Apple Lightning AV Adapter?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HarryWarden, Aug 24, 2014.

1. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

It costs $49 on the Apple site. I want to use it to watch iTunes rentals on my TV as I don't have an Apple TV. Would it be better to just get a refurb Apple TV for $75 or is there a non-Apple version of the aforementioned adapter that would work and not cost what is frankly absurd for a cable.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. cebseb macrumors regular

What computer do you use? Can't you just hook up your TV to your computer? Or are you looking for an "on-the-road" solution?

4. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

You can get one of these cables on eBay for around $40 with free shipping. I assume you have an HD TV since the ATV only puts out a HDMI signal. I assume you must have either a Mac computer, an iPad or an iPhone that supports AirPlay in order to consider getting an ATV.

Didn't realize you could get a refurbished ATV for $75. I just bought a used one on eBay for $85 that included shipping. A new one would have been $99 plus tax plus shipping.

Unless cash is a consideration, I would suggest the ATV. I have 3 of them and the one I just bought was for traveling. More and more places I stay have HD sets with an open HDMI port. Much better viewing choices than some 20 channel crap selection. As for iTunes movies movies (which I mainly rent), you can get the same movies on vudu.com for about the same price. And of course, the ATV route offers several other options like HBO Go, MLB etc, etc.