Is there a cheaper place to get a 15" MBP than Apple Refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Micah McDowell, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Micah McDowell macrumors newbie

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a MBP, and I want a Feb. 2011 2.0Ghz quad base model (refurb or used is fine by me). Apple.com has them for $1,359.00, which totals $1,416.42 after tax.

I've checked eBay (used ones go for that or more), Amazon (more), local Craigslist (none available, it's a ghost town around here). Is there any way to get one cheaper? Apparently this model doesn't depreciate very quickly; I'd figure a 10-month old computer would have gone down more.

Is Apple seriously the cheapest place in the world for these? I have a hard time believing that's the case.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Lots of students selling machines that were bought for them ( mostly by parental units probably ) on craigslist ...

Not that I would do any of my shopping there but it is popular ( and potentially dangerous ).

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Even if you could you might not get the year warranty you get from apple

4. djpuma macrumors regular

e-motherf*^*ng-bay

I just got a used 2.3ghz i7 early 2011 for $400 less than apple's refurb price. Yeah it doesn't come with a full 1 year warranty, but I can buy applecare at full price and still come out cheaper than at apple
    Plus...no tax

Or you can go off of macmall if you don't live in Ca and not pay tax either.

5. Micah McDowell thread starter macrumors newbie

Craigslist is fine by me, but there's none for sale on my local site. I'd have to drive a couple hundred miles, and even then, I only found a couple deals that are WORSE than buying straight from Apple. Maybe I'm in the wrong part of the country?

----------

I looked, couldn't find a single 15" quad-core that cheaply. Trust me, I'm an eBayer extraordinaire, been on there since 2002 with over 1200 feedback. I know how to search it, and there wasn't a single deal to be found. Looks like Macmall will still be more than Apple too. Can Apple really be that cheap on their refurbished prices that no one can match it?

6. djpuma macrumors regular

The thing with ebay is, it's all how your describe it.

If you're looking for a 2011 macbook pro 2.2ghz i7 quad core 15"

just type in 2011 macbook pro 2.2

or these varitions
    2011 macbook pro 2.2 i7 15"
    2011 macbook pro 2.3 february
    2011 macbook pro 2.2 15"

etc.
    i hate the way ebay clusters them into their mbp #'s or whatever they are.

I was looking for a 2.2 and ended up winning a 2.3 for less than what I was bidding on the 2.2 mbp

you can also search by the apple #
    MC723LL/A
    etc.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'd go with the refurb from Apple. You get the one year warranty, and you know that it has been inspected and is in good condition. To me, the possibility of saving a few bucks isn't worth the possible risks involved. It's too easy to get ripped off when you buy off eBay or Craigslist.

8. tofferster macrumors newbie

Check B&H

Yesterday I ordered a late 2011 15" Macbook Pro for $1599 through bhphotovideo.com and saw that they had early 2011 15 inchers for $1485 and no tax (if you live outside NY) plus free shipping. They also have a special on Apple Care for $122 so that alone would make it cheaper than a refurb with Apple Care from Apple.com. Don't know how they offer Apple Care for so cheap but I'm happy with my purchase.

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

10. foxyfabio macrumors member

I agree.

---------------------------------

I would not buy from ebay. It is not safe.