Is There A Color Calibrator That Sets The White Point and Black Point?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SolracSelbor, Apr 29, 2008.

1. SolracSelbor macrumors 6502

I was wondering if there is a color calibrator that sets the white point and black points without you having to manually adjust the contrast and brightness? I read that the spyder 3 pro requires you to adjust it manually, so i'm not really sure if this is the case with all color calibrators.

2. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I want to add a related question: Is it possible to rent a color calibrator, or does one have to purchase one.

3. SolracSelbor thread starter macrumors 6502

You cant rent one because you have to recalibrate every 3-4 weeks, also it is hard to find any place to rent software.

Now back to the original question please....

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To the rental question: Whatever you spend on this device will be one of the best purchases you make. You will ultimately save a ton of money by being able to print and view with correct colors.

To the OP:
    I don't know if there is any one calibrator that will complete certain parts of the calibration process for you. I think it relies on the light that is around you and such. I don't know that this is easily measured by a machine, at least it doesn't happen with my Spyder2 Pro. I would highly recommend Spyder's hardware/software though and assure you that it is easy enough to do that you don't dread doing it every 30 days.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can buy one for about $65. Not worth renting.

6. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

The only adjustments you should be making to a LCD monitor is backlight adjustment. That is the only physical adjustment available. Any other adjustments are altering the video card LUT to simulate the effect of monitor adjustment. That is the job of the hardware calibrator.

The Spyder3 does adjust both the black and white points automatically. It allows you to adjust the monitor backlight if you choose the ambient light setting.

7. SolracSelbor thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the responses. Does anyone here have experience using the x-rite Eye one (i1) Display 2?

Also, would it be better to get the spyder 3 pro or elite?

8. joecool99, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

mac white point 6500K or native

Same question. now in 2011 with 10.6.7

what is the white point the system sets ? most calibration devices recommend 6500K, but i cannot see where is this set.

ps: i've Spyder 3 Elite with 4.x software and i need to set the white point to native otherwise the results are AWFUL with greenish tint.