Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thrill5one6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Is there a .com or .net shortcut in safari?
In Firefox it is ctrl enter and shift enter but those aren't working for Safari, I looked around and couldnt find an answer :confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
What happens if you enter macrumors* and press ENTER? Isn't the .com suffix normally appended?

* if the address hasn't been entered before and is not in the history list

thrill5one6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
For some reason just pressing enter takes me to my internet providers search engine results :confused:

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
That’s a DNS thing. Try updating your DNS servers to use Google’s DNS service or OpenDNS.

For Google:

For OpenDNS:

To change these, go to System Preferences -> Network -> Airport/Ethernet (depending on your internet connection) -> Advanced -> DNS.

jW

brijazz

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
I'm not aware of such a shortcut for Safari. Obviously, as a switcher from another browser, you'll probably miss the shortcut. IMHO, hitting two keys to save typing four isn't a big time-saver though.

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
To clean this up, here is the rough process:

0) You type something in the url field and the browser (Safari) parses it to get the server name, in this example "bobsHouseOfFish".

1) The browser asks the OS if it knows the address of a server "bobsHouseOfFish", the OS looks this up through its methods. On MacOS X this includes things like NetBUI, OpenDirectory, ActiveDirectory, Bonjour, and most importantly for this conversation DNS.

2) Your DNS servers should not be able to resolve "bobsHouseOfFish", and should respond that it does not know, and then the OS should pass this along to the browser.

2.1) If you have any "search domains" defined for this interface they should be tried (so if you have "example.com" defined, then it should try DNS for "bobsHouseOfFish.example.com".).

2.5) Completely counter to the standard some ISPs have started returning a pointer to a search portal that they use to generate more money by advertising to you (or selling you to their advertisers). This practice sort-of works for web browsers, but completely breaks lots of other services. If your ISP starts doing this complain loudly, and threaten to leave them.

3) Since its first try did not work, the browser is now free to try other things, Safari will, by default in the US, try putting ".com" at the end, and trying the search again. If this again fails it will try also putting "www." in front and ".com" at the end. If this then fails to resolve to an IP it gives up, and tells you.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
That’s a DNS thing. Try updating your DNS servers to use Google’s DNS service or OpenDNS.

For Google:

For OpenDNS:

To change these, go to System Preferences -> Network -> Airport/Ethernet (depending on your internet connection) -> Advanced -> DNS.

jW

Assuming the OP is using a standard network configuration, DNS addresses would be obtained over DHCP, and ones added in System Preferences would be of less priority than the ones provided by the router. So instead, the DNS settings would need to be overridden on the router/gateway itself.

JNB

macrumors 604
I'm pretty sure an ISP can bork Safari's "natural" behavior. From home, I can just type the domain name and the ".com" will usually resolve itself. On the road though, many times I'll get a response showing one of those useless search pages from whichever ISP I'm connecting through in the hotel du jour.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah, some ISPs will "hijack" any invalid domain names and redirect you to another site (usually a search page). This can usually be avoided by changing to different DNS servers (some options were listed further up the thread).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.