is there a combo of boot camp and vmware

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ezekel, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ezekel macrumors regular

To my knowledge there are three main apps for putting windows on the mac: parallels vmware fusion and boot camp.

TO my understanding, parallels and fusion are just VM to emulate windows. Boot camp boots into windows only.

Is there a program or can the mentioned programs do both, boot into the windows partition when needed, and also be used as a VM?

The logic I'm thinking is no but that is why I am asking here.

I am currently using vmware fusion

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Fusion can use your BC partition as its VM, I think that is what you are looking for.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, but as far as I know, both VMWare and Parallels can run your bootcamp partition, so you only need 1 installation of windows for both dual-booting and virtualization

4. ezekel thread starter macrumors regular

really? So all I would need to do is install windows via boot camp and then let vmware run the partition if I understood that right.

Thanks swiftaw and robert.j.strain I will do just that. Thank you. I tired searching but I couldn't word it right to find the right threads :D

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

yes, exactly

6. ezekel thread starter macrumors regular

so how about this:

is there a way to let bc read my already existing fusion partition instead of doing it the long way :eek:

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not that I know of - BC needs it to be installed like a normal PC, the fusion file is just that - a file that is read and understood by fusion.

8. ezekel thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, that is what I thought.

THanks again for all your help. This gives me something to do tomorrow since I have the day off .

Cheers! :apple:

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yeah, I'm about to do the same thing - if I ever find time.

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

(for vmware) That only works if you have a PATA drive.

Has this changed? Or is it diff. for mac?

edit; nm.

11. Eric Piercey macrumors 6502

Eric Piercey

Okay, so what's the procedure for a new machine with a factory fresh install of Leopard on it? Is the BC partition already created and if so, is it dynamic, that is- can one just install their alternate OS and they're good to go? Or, does one need to completely start over and re-partition the boot volume and then reinstall Leopard and their alternate OS.

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The BC partition is not already there. BC Assistant dynamically repartitions the HDD to the size and filetype you specify, no reinstall of Leo required.

13. targus macrumors newbie

VMware Fusion

Does anyone know which way we get a faster WinXp running in Mac OS X Leopard?
    Installing VMWARE Fusion and using bootcamp parition as a Virtual machine or creating a VM directly from fusion using Windows Easy install.

14. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

You could always do both and give it a try. Create a BC partition, point VM to that partition, and then setup a VM XP install. I don't think you'll notice a huge difference one way or the other so it's probably not worth the time. I've been using a BC partition with VMWare and think it's the best solution overall. Run it in a VM when needed or natively. The choice is always there for when you want it.

15. targus macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for your help, I will be using VM Fusion just as you said.

16. MurphyM macrumors 6502

Something to be aware of when your Fusion VM is Bootcamp:

You can't suspend the VM under Fusion. So every time you want to use it you'll have to wait for it to boot. It's the only way for them to avoid having to reconcile the VM being left in a different state than bootcamp was left in. It boots pretty fast though.

Like others said, I would install bootcamp, then point Fusion to it. Then I'd test whatever Windows work you need to do. If it turns out you can run it all under Fusion without booting under bootcamp you might want to delete bootcamp.

If you decide to do that I have a post on converting a bootcamp partition to a regular Fusion vm. After converting you can create snapshots and suspend and resume. Additionally, you can move your Windows install to another drive to free up space in a jam. Then just copy it back on. Nice.