Is there a compressor?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by timtrax, Jan 4, 2010.

1. timtrax macrumors newbie

Is there any app for TOUCH that would, essentially, act like a compressor when playing music - boost the lows and limit the highs? -so that all mp3's would be similar in volume (if they weren't in the first place) I am a musician who would play music in breaks, for dancing, and generally older songs are softer than new ones - or at least less consistent. I thought a compressor app might help the situation.

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Settings --> Music --> Sound Check ON

3. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Bear in mind that the Sound Check function just boosts or reduces the overall playback level of individual tracks depending on the average volume of each track, but it won't actually compress the dynamic range in the way you're hoping for. Unfortunately, the sort of compression you're asking for is such a processor-intensive task that even if the iPod could do this on the fly (which it doesn't look like there's an app for), it would kill the battery pretty quickly.

Your best bet would be to run a copy of the tracks you want through a compressor plugin in Pro Tools (or whatever), then put them in a special playlist on your iPod so you can keep track of which files you've edited.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I use a program called mp3gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/) to adjust the volume levels of all my music. The nice thing about this is it has an undo function if you want to restore the sound levels to their original state.