Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
iPhone boxes seem to bring a few $$, and I always use a phone until it's beyond repair or else I hand it down, so I really have no use (and never have) for the empty boxes, as cool and nice as they are. I have a few phones in use, and the boxes from all of them and a few more. Since the boxes have the serial numbers of the phones on them, is there any downside or risk to selling the boxes on Ebay for the few $ they bring? I am trying to rid my office of all the clutter, and if there's any risk to other people having the box to a phone I use (and the device info on the box) please let me know, and I wont bother to put them on there.

Thanks in advance! :)

PS... and I'm curious what the people buying the boxes use them for.... if anyone knows.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
iPhone boxes seem to bring a few $$, and I always use a phone until it's beyond repair or else I hand it down, so I really have no use (and never have) for the empty boxes, as cool and nice as they are. I have a few phones in use, and the boxes from all of them and a few more. Since the boxes have the serial numbers of the phones on them, is there any downside or risk to selling the boxes on Ebay for the few $ they bring? I am trying to rid my office of all the clutter, and if there's any risk to other people having the box to a phone I use (and the device info on the box) please let me know, and I wont bother to put them on there.

Thanks in advance! :)

PS... and I'm curious what the people buying the boxes use them for.... if anyone knows.

I am sure that some boxes are used for the CL scam of a "sealed" Apple product, and are reshrinkwrapped with a weight inside. I'd guess more are used to make 3rd party refurbs (screen replacements, etc) more valuable on ebay and CL. And a few used in the ever-popular "Hey nephew, I got you an iPhone!....box with a candy bar inside!" :)

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I am sure that some boxes are used for the CL scam of a "sealed" Apple product, and are reshrinkwrapped with a weight inside. I'd guess more are used to make 3rd party refurbs (screen replacements, etc) more valuable on ebay and CL. And a few used in the ever-popular "Hey nephew, I got you an iPhone!....box with a candy bar inside!" :)

A lot of small dealers (and probably some private sellers) will use boxes to repackage second hand phones for resale, a boxed phone sells for more than a loose phone and charger.

To the OP, make sure you remove the label underneath with the IMEI number on. It's better to keep things like that private.

kingofbling

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
The thing is you will see boxes sell for $300 (when ebay doesnt catch them) and in the end you get a chargeback, negative feedback, etc. Because the buyer thought they were buying a PHONE IN THE BOX, even though the auction says BOX ONLY. Seen it happen multiple times, not even worth it to list it, to much trouble that tags along with it.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I've bought a few boxes, knowing they were empty boxes. I purchased a rMBP here and it had no box, bought a box off eBay for the same kind and gift wrapped it for my girlfriend. She knew it was used but things just look better with an original box.

I don't see what anyone could do with a serial # or IMEI #. I always laugh when I see auctions with it blacked out because it's one thing I look at (remaining warranty, etc.)

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i know from selling iPhones that if you include the box you'll get a bit more for it, maybe they collect them? who knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.