Is there a Data Only plan somehow for 3gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by andito, Jul 27, 2010.

1. andito macrumors newbie

Trying desperately to find a way to get a 3g only plan and just use voip's. Is this possible?

2. douflag macrumors member

I doubt it. AT&T doesn't make it possible for you to do that. You could try popping in a iPad sim card in it and see what happens. But my guess is that the IMEI will lock you out.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

They won't have such plan, because they're allowing phone calls to be made over 3G using apps like Skype.

4. iVostro macrumors newbie

It is possible as I am doing right now on my 3GS. You need an iPad sim card and an adapter and a Mac or iPad to activate the SIM card. EMail me at Vostro3@comcast.net as Im not a regular here.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I was thinking the same.
    Ipad simcard with an adapter inside an iphone for just data use.

6. douflag macrumors member

That's interesting to know. I thought AT&T might have figured a way to lock someone out if they were planning to do what the OP wants to do.

7. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Wait... really? So I could just pop my iPad sim into my iPhone 4 and it would work? Can anyone confirm this? I don't want to get locked out...

8. douflag macrumors member

Try it. You could always just tell them you accidentally stuck in your iPad card instead of your iP4 card.

9. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

You cant open the iP4 sim slot though?

and i know that you can call AT&T and discuss something with a rep about it.

10. douflag macrumors member

Why can't you open the iP4 sim slot? It's the same slot type as the other iPhones. You just need the sim tool.

[​IMG]

11. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

For a data only plan, I would think of getting an iPad, VOIP app, and Apple's headphones with the built-in mic. Or possibly a Bluetooth mic.

12. Naethyn macrumors regular

Naethyn

Yeah when I was at the apple store the new ones didnt have those slots to open them, you got them and you would need a new one to get a new sim.

13. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Are you talking about the iPhone or iPad? The iPhone (3G & newer models) all have SIM card slots. They have to to use the AT&T network. The same also applies to the iPad 3G model. The only thing is that the iPhone 4 supposedly doesn't include the SIM eject tool. The other iPhones did & so does the iPad 3G.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The ipads that didnt have those slots to open them were probably the wifi only models:D

15. douflag macrumors member

Sounds like you might be confusing iP4 with iPad 3G WiFi.

EDITED to reflect iPad WiFi and not iPad 3G. Thanks Rajani!

16. eric237 macrumors newbie

yea hes right, i saw today at the apple store, that the area where the sim card is on the iphone 4 does not have the little hole to put the pin in.
    they probably dont want people stealing the sim cards that are in there.

17. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

That would be a demo-model only feature, then. They would not want to lock the sim cards in to where you'd need to swap the phone to change them because sometimes things happen and you end up needing a new SIM card (happed on my Razr).
    You mean iPad WiFi - the 3G would also need a SIM card

18. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Are you sure you weren't looking at an iPod Touch ??

19. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yeah, I would not be at all surprised if they've got special non-removable SIM trays for demo units so people can't steal their SIMs to get free service.

20. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

No he is right. All the demo ones at the apple store has what appears to be a non removable SIM tray. At least there is no obvious way to remove them.

21. andito thread starter macrumors newbie

ipad sim to iphone

Hi there,

Thanks to all who have responded on this thread! So I think the next thing to do is to talk to people who have done this iPad simcard into an iPhone think. Hope it works! Who's actually done it? Raise your hand.

22. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

is it possible to just get a iPad sim card activated without owning a iPad??

Whats the process?? Go to apple and tell them u want a iPad sim activated or go to ATT or u can do it online?

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question.

24. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I would imagine that if you are going to activate an iPad 3G, AT&T will want to get some kind of info from the iPad. An even bigger question would be how do you plan to get a micro SIM without buying the iPad? In that case, AT&T would be the only place.