Is there a definitive #2 behind iTunes Music Store...?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Unspeaked, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Is there a definitive #2 behind iTunes Music Store...?

As someone who doesn't really download much music, I honestly don't know.

If I had to guess from the exposure I've had to articles and advertising, I'd have to throw the online music sellers in this order:

1. Apple iTMS

2. Rhapsody (I seem to see it mentioned a lot in print and I believe Best Buy really pushes this one.)

3. Napster / eMusic (They both seem to have about the same exposure to me. It certainly would have been eMusic a couple of years ago, but Napster's been heavy on the advertising lately.)

How close is this to reality? Is there a list that keeps track of market share? I know iTunes is so far head that any second place finisher is light-years behind, but is significantly larger than the #3 or are they all just clumped together after iTunes?

Edit to add: I forgot about Amazon, which is really new, and which I'd put somewhere in there with Napster and eMusic...

Edited again to add: After researching a lot of articles and reports online, it seems like this is the true current ranking of the online music stores:

1. Apple iTunes Music Store

2. eMusic

3. Amazon

4. Napster

5. Rhapsody

6. Yahoo! Music

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

It's hard to rank them for the industry as a whole, but for myself I put Amazon as #2 simply because it's the only other source after iTunes from which I will download music. I used to use eMusic but got bored with their selection and hated the subscription-type service. Amazon is amazing at integrating your downloads into iTunes and thus deserves to be #2.

3. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I completely agree with the Amazon #2 argument. Though it is new and likely is behind others in sales, it has become rather popular, had success despite iTMS store domination, and integrates into iTunes. I buy all the music i can on there because it is almost always the cheaper of the two between their store and iTunes (if they don't have an artist i will buy iTunes Plus, if it is not in plus i will wait until it's added to plus or just buy the CD :))

I'm looking forward to Amazon growing, it is really a great service. It isn't as reliable as iTunes (stupid downloader has crashed twice and i had to get it the album restored by Amazon to complete the download) but overall it is cheaper and still a great store.

4. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I did a little more research on this and it seems like it's all over the place after the top spot.

Pretty much everyone agrees Apple is number 1 in sales, users, revenue, etc. It starts to get tricky after that because registered users, downloads and sales don't match up evenly among the stores.

In general, it seems as though this is how things are viewed:

1. Apple iTunes Music Store

2. eMusic (which has the second highest number of downloads after iTunes)

3. Amazon (which is the newest and most predict will be in the #2 spot soon)

4. Napster (which has the second highest number of users after iTunes)

5. Rhapsody (way behind where I thought it was!)

6. Yahoo! Music

5. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91