Is there a "del" key on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peterjun, Sep 6, 2007.

1. peterjun macrumors member

I'm so used to hitting it on the PC I was wondering if there was a del key for the MBP. I'm not talking about the Delete key.

2. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Hold function (fn) while pressing the delete key and it will function like a "del" key.

3. klex macrumors regular

You can also use a freeware called "doublecommand (google it). It lets you remap your keyboard. I have remapped mine such that the small enter key next to the left arrow key now functions as a "del" button. This does not affect the larger enter/return key.

As an FYI, being a fairly new switcher, I have also remapped my cmd/apple key and ctrl, such that I can now do ctrl+c, ctrl+a and ctrl+v for copy and paste. My fingers couldn't get used to moving one button over so this was helpful for me.

4. peterjun thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think that is a good idea since I never use the smaller enter key (I just realized that it was there lol).

Yea, I still get mixed between the fn, ctrl, option, and apple keys... Guess it just takes a little time to get used to.

One more thing: when using expose is there a way to program F9 and F10 without holding onto the the fn key? I rarely need to use the keyboard light adjustment keys.

5. klex macrumors regular

You can go to system prefs -> keyboard mouse -> Keyboard tab -> check the box that says "Use the F1-F12 keys to control...". BEWARE however that this changes all the F-keys. Try it out and see if you like it.

6. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Just use hot corners and leave the function keys as is. System Prefs. > Dashboard & Exposé.

I have:
    Upper Left: Start Screen Saver
    Lower Left: Dashboard
    Upper Right: All Windows
    Lower Right: App Windows

For show desktop, F11 is free on both my BT keyboard and my MBP, so no need.

7. klymr macrumors 65816

I had a hard time remembering the CMD key. Now I find myself using the ALT key on this D*ll at work. Hehe. I love the CMD key...It's so much easier to use.

8. Avgustina macrumors newbie

Hi, I’ve just made my DEL key work on its own without pressing Fn Del. Thank God☺! At VM Preferences-Keyboard&Mouse- (+) button to add, From: Delete
    To: Fn Delete (Forward Delete).

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

What does the "del" key do anyway? Is it like the Esc key, if it is, why don't you use the Esc key?

Cheerz!:D

10. NMO macrumors newbie

Start-up Chime

mrsir,
    have you had any feedback from people who have tried the tool to eliminate the start-up chime? It annoys the hell out of me !

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Holy old thread, but the kill the start up chime thing worked for me...

12. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Anyone currently using the above delete key software suggestion?