Is there a Dictionary App?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cujoca, Nov 29, 2007.

1. cujoca macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if someone has made a dictionary/thesaurus app because i was sitting in class one day and my teacher asked us if we knew what this meant and I thought to myself how cool it would be to be able to just pull out the touch and just ring it up instead of walking to the front of the class and looking it up. If there is one out there I would love to have it and how would I get it?

Thanks in advance!

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

wedict - lots of dictionaries to go with it as well.

Your touch has to be jailbroken of course, but its in there.

3. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

how do i find that and yes my touch is broken

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

in installer go to the "all apps" section or whatever it says. Stuff in there is sorted alphabetically. Just look for weDict

5. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

i looked in "all packages" under "install" and its not there? Maybe i'm doing something wrong

6. hecks macrumors regular

weDict is in the Productivity folder of Installer. The different dictionaries, thesaurus and encyclopedias are in the - wait for it - Dictionaries folder.

7. aki macrumors 6502a

Just a note on weDict. Agreed it's a very useful app. Two things though. Actually three.

One, although it says it supports startdict dictionaries, I haven't been able to install any dictionaries myself, unless they came from Installer.app. Downloading a startdictionary off the internet and dropping into the touch manually doesn't seem to work (at least for me - I may have missed something). On the other hand, there are plenty of dictionaries etc listed in Installer so maybe that's not a problem for you.

Two, the interface of weDict is pretty limited - in particular, the format of the output is very plain. If you just want quick access to the Oxford dictionary or something it's probably good enough; but if you want to use say a language dictionary, the plain long-list-of-words formatting may be a problem (it is for me; but maybe I'm just spoiled coz everything on the touch usually looks so good).

Three, the version of weDict current listed on the default sources in Installer.app seems to be out of date. At least for me from default sources I get weDict version 0.4.1 - but I noticed when I manually added a list of other sources (thanks iPod touch hacks forum haha) I got the option to upgrade to a version 0.6, which looks a little nicer.

Good luck!

8. VToX macrumors member

If you're using AppSnapp

there is a a whole dictionary section lol.

-vtox

9. cujoca thread starter macrumors regular

do people have different versions of installer because all thats in my "productivity" folder is "IPH Calc"?

10. hecks macrumors regular

Install Community Sources.