Is there a difference between backup made in iCloud vs one made in iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Berthacrowley, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Berthacrowley macrumors member

Berthacrowley

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, I tried searching the forum but there's a lot to weed through and couldn't find a specific answer!

If you want to transfer all apps/data/music/contacts etc from your old iPhone (5S in my case) to your new iPhone (6S+), is it better to do so via an iCloud backup or an iTunes backup on the computer? Is there any difference between the two? Does it matter if 90% of my music library was not purchased via iTunes? Like will iCloud only backup & restore music purchased from iTunes?

I haven't transferred anything between iPhones in a couple years so I just wondered if any part of the process has changed with the introduction of iCloud and with iOS 9; I just want to do what's easiest!

2. chscag macrumors 68020

chscag

Use the encrypted backup option in iTunes and backup to your Mac. It will be faster and less likely to falter especially if your backup is greater than the space you have available with iCloud. As far as your music is concerned, all will be backed up. None of my recordings or music was purchased via iTunes and it backs up and gets restored both from the cloud or my Mac.

3. Berthacrowley thread starter macrumors member

Berthacrowley

Awesome, will try it tonight! Thank you!