Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I'm just curious if there is a difference between the iPhone 5s purchased unlocked from Apple or say buying a iPhone5s on T-mo paying it off and having them unlock it?

About to get myself a new phone and this is the last decision for me (whether to buy in full up front or do the monthly payment plan with tmo).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm just curious if there is a difference between the iPhone 5s purchased unlocked from Apple or say buying a iPhone5s on T-mo paying it off and having them unlock it?

About to get myself a new phone and this is the last decision for me (whether to buy in full up front or do the monthly payment plan with tmo).
Unlocked is unlocked. There is no difference, no matter how you arrive there.

Apple maintains an unlock database. Any iPhone that is to be unlocked, whether by Apple or a carrier, has it's IMEI entered into that Apple database. iTunes checks that database and if your IMEI is found there you are unlocked - period.

Once your phone is unlocked, it's unlocked forever.

Sprint is a different matter entirely.

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
I was bamboozled once. Fooling around with carriers and they told me that it was unlocked internationally but locked domestically. Now, I don't trust carriers, so even though there may be ways to get it unlocked, I only buy Sim-Free from Apple.

What Apple needs to do is put a carrier status in iTunes that shows whether your phone is unlocked or not.

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
I asked Tmo and they said that once the phone is paid for in full they will unlock it upon request. As long as it's unlocked I'm good and I'd rather not pay full price up front with Christmas just around the corner.

Can anyone confirm T mobile will indeed unlock your iPhone for you?

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I was bamboozled once. Fooling around with carriers and they told me that it was unlocked internationally but locked domestically. Now, I don't trust carriers, so even though there may be ways to get it unlocked, I only buy Sim-Free from Apple.

Thats only on sprint

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I asked Tmo and they said that once the phone is paid for in full they will unlock it upon request. As long as it's unlocked I'm good and I'd rather not pay full price up front with Christmas just around the corner.

T-Mobile will unlock your iPhone, of course one you paid off the iPhone and completed 40 days or more of service.

Paid off my iPhone, got it unlocked (in case I wanted to leave) by T-Mobile. Then promptly switched their prepaid plan. I would never do that payment plan again.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga

You could try to get the financing from Apple, and then just pay it back over time. It would be almost the same thing as T-Mobile, but you would not have to wait on the unlock from T-Mobile. It would be unlocked the day Apple handed it to you.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
You could buy Verizon 5s that is factory unlocked and has all LTE bands for all carriers

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You could buy Verizon 5s that is factory unlocked and has all LTE bands for all carriers
Not quite all LTE bands for all carrier, but at least generally for international ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.