Is there a difference between the 2 ways to wipe your phone?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by liteshow, Oct 1, 2014.

1. liteshow macrumors regular

What is the difference between the 2 resets below? Which is better? If I want to make sure that the latest ios is cleanly installed on the iphone, which would do a better job?

(1) restore iphone with itunes

[​IMG]

(2) erase all contents and settings

Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings.

2. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

I believe they leave your phone in pretty much the same state. The main difference is that you can do the 2nd one without upgrading the OS. The 1st one requires a computer and will always upgrade you to the latest OS compatible with your phone.

For either one, it will make you turn off the "find my iphone" before proceeding. I think that's so you can sell, trade in, or give away the phone without it still being tied to your account.

So if you want to upgrade the phone to iOS 8.0.2, use #1. If you want to leave it at 7, use #2.

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

If done through iTunes, the software on the phone is completely extracted and replaced with a clean copy, while the option on the device itself just erases everything.

4. imacadoo macrumors member

This answer is great. Saves me a post.

I am giving my iP5 to my wife now that I have the iP6. The 5 already has been updated to 8.0 but when I connected to my computer and tried to restore it tried to download the latest software but I got a download corrupted message (tried twice--same result). Don't recall if this was around the time of the 8.0.1 issue and maybe before 8.0.2 but it may have been. So I'll try the computer route one more time and if it doesn't work, I'll use option 2. I can always update the OS afterwards. At least I hope so.

Thanks.

5. liteshow thread starter macrumors regular

Replacing the iphone with a clean copy sound like what I am looking for. I just don't seem to be able to find that info on Apple's site.

The reason why I asked this question is because my 5s LTE speed has been slow on ios 8.0.2. Some users on this forum report no issues while other have the bug.

I had previously perform an itunes updates for 8.0.2, so maybe the install wasn't clean. So I would like now to try and install a clean copy of ios 8.0.2, and setting up the phone as new (won't restore from backup) and see if the issue happens.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

Well during the Restore process, iTunes states it is "Extracting software..."

Just be sure you don't restore your backup during the set up process because that defeats the purpose of the clean restore.

7. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

But wonder the reports that it was necessary to erase all content when going from an 8 Beta to the GM?

8. liteshow thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I won't be restoring from backup at all. Will be setting up as a new phone. Just have to re-install my apps and re-enter some of the settings.

9. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

If you are not going to sell your phone and are just re-setting it up for yourself, then there should be no difference.

I believe only difference is in the implementation of/warnings for the restores. If you use iTunes, it will NOT allow you to wipe the phone with an activation lock turned on. The last time I used the "Erase all Content and Settings" it did NOT remind me to disable activation lock.

While they are both functionally equivalent, if I had used the iTunes method I would not have sent a phone for trade to Amazon with the activation lock enabled (doh!).

10. Padmini macrumors 6502a

THERE IS IN FACT A DIFFERENCE.

Restoring through iTunes will NOT disable Activation Lock.

Erase All Content and Settings on the device itself WILL disable Activation Lock.

11. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

This isn't totally accurate.

Erase All Content and Settings will prompt you for your password to disable Find my iPhone before it works. You need to have an internet connection available while you do this so it can verify the password.

iTunes will not allow you to restore the device if Find my iPhone is enabled. It will prompt you to turn off Find my iPhone and will not let you proceed until that has been done.

The only exception is if the device is in DFU mode. In that case, iTunes will let you restore whether Activation Lock is enabled or not.

----------

Also, I did want to add that even though functionally the phones wind up in a very similar state after each of these processes there is some difference. My wife had a really odd problem taking pictures on her iPhone 5S. She could take a picture and it looked like everything worked, but the picture was never actually saved to the phone. As part of my troubleshooting, I did Erase All Content and Settings and then I set up the phone as a new phone without restoring a backup. To my surprise, the problem still existed. I then went to iTunes and restored the phone and that was able to fix the problem.

As others have said, restoring through iTunes reloads the operating system and everything, so apparently it puts the phone into a somewhat 'cleaner' state. If you're just looking to sell a phone and wipe your data I don't think Erase Content and Settings is a bad thing and it's a lot quicker and easier, but if you're having funky problems, then you might want to go all out and do it though iTunes.

12. liteshow thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for confirming the difference. I still have the slow LTE issues even after doing an erase settings and contents. So I will attempt the restore from iTunes and see what happens.

13. gaanee macrumors 6502a

So if I do: Settings > General > Reset > Erase all Content and Settings
    will the iphone 5s restore to ios7 and not force upgrade to ios8?

14. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Yes, Erase all Content and Settings just wipes the phone and doesn't change the OS.

15. gaanee macrumors 6502a

If I upgrade to ios8 and want to revert back to ios7 will this work? Because Apple has stopped signing ios7.

Does it restore to the currently installed version of ios or the one which originally came with the iphone?

16. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

No, if you've already updated to iOS 8 then it's too late. This just leaves whatever OS is on the phone there.

17. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info..that's good to know, I am still on ios7.
    Does it do clean install of the already installed version of ios or is it like restore from back up?

18. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

No, it just wipes the data and leaves the OS alone