Is there a difference if i order in an AT&T store or Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AlphaVictor87, Nov 1, 2011.

1. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Ok so how does it work if i'm eligible for an upgrade on AT&T and i want to purchase at an Apple store?

From what it seems like Apple stores are getting them pretty regularly because you can reserve it the night before after 9pm and then go get it the next day. I'm assuming i'm correct in that statement, let me know if i'm wrong.

So how does Apple handle the AT&T contract renewal if i'm getting my phone through the Apple store?

Is that a guaranteed reservation regardless of size and color? Also does it matter when i come pick it up, because i wouldn't be able to get to it tomorrow until about 4pm.

Thanks for any help in advance!

EDIT: Just found out that even my local Apple stores are completely sold out of EVERYTHING.

UGH my day just got worse. Anyone know when they will be getting their new shipments? maybe just later today? Should i call the Apple store to ask them if they know when the next shipment will come in?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can buy either place, Apple can handle your contract renewal for you.

You will reserve a specific size/color and it will tell you on the Apple site if your choice is available.

There is a time limit on pickups, I'm sure the site will tell you more when you reserve.

3. AlphaVictor87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Thanks Sean! i just checked and saw everything was sold out. BUT i also found out this "Reservation" system isn't really a reservation.

You can put it in, but its a first come first serve type of thing, so looks like even if i did put it in i'd have to be super lucky to get one if i went at 4pm.

Oh well, just the fact knowing that i can walk into a store and get one at anytime is good enough for me...... who am i kidding i need to get rid of this 3gs lol

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There really are reservations - but you have to be quick & lucky! New phones for the next day open up at 9:00PM in each store's timezone (actually sometimes a few minutes before). Within 10 minutes or so they're all reserved.

http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

5. AlphaVictor87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Oh so even if i can't come in till 4pm i'd still get one if i can reserve it? Awesome! Guess i'm going to try my luck every night! lol

Thanks again!

6. AlphaVictor87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Sorry to double post but i needed a bump for this question,

seeing that the iphone 4s has a micro sim and my 3gs has a sim, i'm assuming apple will take care of the whole process for switching all my info over to the micro sim?

7. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Yes, this is all handled. The new micro sim is programmed on the spot.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Quick question and sorry to hijack.
    I remember before if you had a FAN discount on your acount you couldnt order/upgrade using Apple. You had to call AT&T, have the discount code removed and then once upgraded call again and add it.
    Is it still a pain process like that or they improved and handle it the way the account is without problems?
    I upgraded with BestBuy and they didnt have any problem with my FAN discount.

9. AlphaVictor87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Hey good question as i have a FAN account as well.

10. bellaisa macrumors regular

I am on a FAN account and I ordered from the apple site, no problem...

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks.

12. DIYEpicFail macrumors newbie

Also, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Apple will allow you to keep your unlimited data plan if you already have it, and AT&T is kind of a hit or miss on that, everything I've heard is to the contrary.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

AT&T does too.
    Just gotta make sure you tell the rep cause if they dont know how to carry it over they might pick the 200MB or 2GB plan.
    Either way it shouldnt be a problem once you have it to keep it.

14. aham23 macrumors regular

FYI: i checked Target over my lunch and was informed that they expect a shipment of AT&T 4s Thursday and the had plenty of VZ ones in stock. he took my name/number and stated he would call me when they come in. this was in the Chicago burbs. YMMV.

15. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I'm sure you got your answer. But yes, once you reserve it (after 9 PM), you can then go to the apple store next day anytime between 8 am to 6 pm and they will hold it for you until you pay and pick it up. If its past 6 pm, and you still haven't paid and picked it up, it then will go to someone else first come first serve basis and you will have to reserve it again for the next day.

I reserved my white iphone 32 gb (originally I wanted black but it was unavailable, oh well I still love the white), on Thursday 10/20/11, and I went to the Apple Store next day at 8 am.

Also as for your sim card, yes apple will take care of that. inside the box already have the micro-sim card installed. Once you agree to the terms, your number then will be transferred to your new iphone. your iphone 3G will no longer work, but you can use it as an ipod touch.

16. dave006 macrumors 68020

The old problem that you mentioned was directly related the the Apple POS system being unable to see any AT&T account that had any type of Business discount. AT&T and Apple resolved the basic issue. :D

As others have indicated, most account's that have FAN associated don't have any issue ordering via Apple.com or Apple store purchase since 2009.

Some specific contract types may still not qualify such as a shared liability account vs the more common Individual Responsible User (IRU). With an IRU type of account you are responsible for your bill and you can use Apple. If you can check your eligibility via Apple then you are good to go with purchasing from Apple. If your account is not supported, you will receive a message indicating that you can't purchase via Apple and that you should contact AT&T.

Dave