Is there a doctor in the house?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zblaxberg, Dec 12, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

So for the past two days I've had a sore throat and difficulty swallowing. This really sucks because my last final for the semester is on friday and I'm going home that night. Then I leave on sunday for california. Now I'm no doctor and I'm sure not many of you are but if there's a doctor in the house, I'm trying to see if I really need to go to the health center because antibiotics really mess me up and I need to get better fast.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Well it'll might affect your exam so it would be worthwhile anyway to go to your health centre to get a doctors note to give to your Uni.

3. Keebler macrumors 68030

there are over the counter medicines too. just get non-drowsy although that's just a marketing ploy as they affect everyone differently. get some lozenges too (like halls or likewise).

hang in there.

4. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Hit up Web MD, in the meantime, eat cough drops/lozenges non-stop.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Well, if you've got a virus (like a cold), antibiotics aren't going to help anyways.

At this point, you're going to want to boost your immune system as much as possible while minimizing symptoms.

Vitamin C doesn't really boost your immune system while you're sick, because it restricts viral access. However it will help stop new viruses from taking advantage of your weakened state.

Vitamin E increases your "killer cells", which seeks out and eliminates cancer cells, bacteria and germs. Again, not as useful when you're already sick, but it will help contain the problem.

Beta Carotene helps boost T-cells and killer cells.

Garlic boosts production of white cells.

Essentially, you're going to want to eat as healthy as possible and curtail any unhealthy habits. Now would be a good time for fruit smoothies, multivitamins, garlic mashed potatoes (I always make thes when I'm sick), and to gargle with salt-water. If you're a manly man, and I mean if the very mention of your name strips women of their clothes and puts hair on the chests of boys, then you can try gargling apple cider vinnegar as well.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

By Anduril I love good gin.

8. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

how about warming some water, then adding some lemon and honey to it? drink a glass tonight and about 3 glasses tomorrow and see how it goes.

9. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

Well I have been on a multivitamin which has 45 iu of Vitamin E (150%) nad 90mg of Vitamin C (150%) but I also have vitamin c tablets that are 1000mg which I take usually when I feel the symptoms of a cold coming on and I took one today. As for garlic I had a calzone tonight with spinach and garlic :) I know it's a questionable amount but hey gimme some credit. My dad's a chiropractor and he found a guy right down the street that he is going to try and get me an appointment with (I'm 3 hours from home so my dad helping me is out of the question). I've been drinking tea about twice a day and just drinking water/powerade/gatorade as well.

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

after tonight, i'm !00% with you :D

11. Hmac macrumors 68020

You need go see a doctor. Strep throat has to be at the top of the list. Mononucleosis is a consideration too. Either way, you need a diagnosis.

12. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

If it was strep or mono he'd be complaining of more than just a sore throat. Since it's finals week You've probably been pushing yourself hard to study and haven't been getting enough sleep. You're body's probably just worn out and thus isn't as good as usual at fighting off viruses. As well as taking vitamins (You'll need more than 90mg of Vitamin C, see if you can get some 1000mg tablets) see if you can find a Chinese herbal medicine shop in your area and look for Ganmaoling tablets. There's no drugs in them, nothing harmful, it's all herbs. They're great for fighting colds and cold-like symptoms.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Quite honestly, seeking medical advice on an internet forum--even if it was populated exclusively by MD's--is ill-advised. If you feel ill enough to be concerned, or more than whatever sniffles/sneezes/sore throats you're used to, then you should go to a clinic or the appropriate equivalent soonest.

The basic symptomatic and supportive advice thus far is as good as it always has been. Don't forget chicken soup, either; better than you think. Just don't panic, nor pass off any symptoms that make you more worried than normal (barring our sage advice :rolleyes:).

14. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

:D and dont for get jim beam and vodka mixer mmmm it wont help your situation but youll be to drunk to care :)

15. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

See a doctor and get a rapid strep test done. Strep is easily treatable with penicillin (or amoxicillin since it's easier to take). Symptoms are notoriously unreliable for making the diagnosis.

If it's mono, there is a good blood test to make the diagnosis - but no treatment.

Enjoy!

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

Sorry, as a blanket statement that is dangerously incorrect.

17. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

ok so interesting story. my dad's a chiropractor however i don't live with him when i'm home so i don't talk to him much. but he found a chiropractor within walking distance of my dorm and i went to him this morning...amazing is all i can say. he cracked my entire spine and i walked out of the office not only taller but my sore throat was almost gone, felt really energetic and not so crappy anymore :D:D:D

18. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

The point he was making is that if it's strep or mono he'd have a fever and other symptoms of being ill, like being tired a ridiculous amount.

I had strep the week before finals this year and had a fever of 101, and I was feeling it. Any bacterial or viral infection will be accompanied by an immune system reaction which almost always involves a fever, if not chills, aches, nausea, swollen glands, etc.

The discomfort from the rest of the symptoms would match at least the sore throat.

The real question then is if there's something the OP didn't say.

19. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

1. Chicken noodle soup, or gargle salt water in the morning and evening

2. Get at least 10 hours of sleep.

3. Do not physically over-exert yourself.

4. If symptoms do not improve in three days, go see a doctor. Get strep or mono tests. Pray it isn't mono.

Best wishes!

20. Hmac macrumors 68020

Sounds like you and I went to different medical schools, or have had different experiences in the 20 years we've both been in practice.