Is there a EASY and RELIABLE way to run OS X on PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Disavowed, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

First off, let me say that I love Macs and have owned everything from a Performa to a Pismo. Want to jump back in and can't afford what I want right now due to grad school starting. Is there a way to run OS X on a PC?

It has to be easy and reliable. I don't much care if it's reversible. REPEAT, I am not a geek and the easier the better.

Finally, should I just bite the bullet and buy a Macbook and avoid what I can imagine are a plethora of proiblems with the aformentioned install?

I really want a MBP or Air....it's just not in the budget right now.

Thanks!:cool:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Search. This has been covered in the hackintosh thread here and elsewhere (InsanelyMac).

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Or legal.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Debatable. :p

I have always said that it is completely illegal for someone to make them and then sell them for profit, but I think that an individual end-user can do it, provided they don't sell it and that they buy Leopard.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

www.google.com

and seriously. if i see another legal debate on hackintoshing... i'm going to kill myself

7. Disavowed thread starter macrumors regular

Disavowed

Was also looking for some feedback as to whether it is even worth the trouble?

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

oh,

www.google.com

9. Disavowed thread starter macrumors regular

Disavowed

Good advice. Looks like a MB is in my future. Maybe it's a blessing and when I graduate the Rev or c/d will be great buy.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If it seems over your head, then a hackintosh is not for you. They will require tinkering and tweaking and you have to be familiar with things like terminal and kext files.

11. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Hopefully not because thats why I am willing to spend more money for a Mac.

12. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Get approved for the 12 months no interest financing that apple has available via their online store. Then you've got a year to pay it off.

13. Disavowed thread starter macrumors regular

Disavowed

Can you use that with educational discount?

14. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

15. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

yes you can use it with edu. as far as I know.
    You must apply online and must make the purchase online.

I'd suggest trying during normal business hours of the day though. I'm not sure if you will get instant approval 24/7

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yes, if you buy the computer parts (mobo and cpu) with OS X in mind.

Well, those are subjective terms. If you're willing to spend $500 and a the better part of a day, you can build a hackintosh that will be very reliable - and powerful. The key is using the Asus P5N7A-VM board with a Core 2 Duo or Quad processor (see my sig). Very easy, but requires access to a real Mac and a copy of the retail 10.5.6 Installer DVD to make your boot drive.

If you can put Legos together, you can build a PC.

Only you can answer that question.

17. svtguy08 macrumors member

I am currently using a Hackintosh as my everyday machine. I have been using it for about 8 months non stop. It has been turned off maybe 5 times since I loaded leopard on it. I have it fully updated, everything works except sleep mode, not one kernel panic, and its running off a Dell. I use it for industrial design, heavy photoshop and illustrator use.

If you can spend one day doing research on a hackintosh, you could probably buy a pretty powerful machine for a fraction of the cost of a Mac. I would definitely and I am with an i7 core, build another.

Specs: Inspiron 530, Q6600 @ 3.0GHz, 8GB DDR2, 1TB HDD, 8600GTS 320MB, 28" Hanspree LCD, factory DVD Writer, other factory stuff. :D

18. followme macrumors regular

followme

My installation was relatively easy and is incredibly reliable. I installed using a retail legally purchased DVD (Leopard 10.5.0), and updated through Software Update to 10.5.6. I cut HD videos using Final Cut, and I was able to play World of Warcraft with great FPS (before I quit that addictive game).

I currently run mainly Mac OS X, but I also have Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Ubuntu 8.10 as other boot options... I guess you could say my machine quadri-boots :).

When I get some free time I'm going to install a second copy of Mac OS X on another partition of one of my drives, as a back-up just in case.

I have virtually no problems. Every now and then my USB devices are not recognized and I have to unplug and plug them back in, and my sleep function doesn't work (the machine won't wake back up). Other than that, you could use my system all day long and never realize it's a Hackintosh.

Check out my video of my system in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17YUf5Hef_I

All the videos on that channel were cut on Final Cut Pro using my Hackintosh.

--------

As for the legality issue, there is some question.

However, it is not "illegal" per se. The only clause pertaining to the issue of installing Mac OS X on a regular PC is along the lines of "This software can only be installed on Apple-labeled hardware."

Well there are all sorts of complications with that statement, if I've got it accurately (which I believe I do). First, what needs to be "Apple-labeled?" The "hardware?" Well, technically we are ONLY installing the software on the HDD itself, nothing more, so does the HDD need to be "Apple-labeled?" What does that mean? If I buy a Mac Pro, I can't purchase a third-party HDD? Is the HDD supplied by Apple in their machines technically an Apple-labeled device?

At any rate, I put an Apple sticker on my tower; it's Apple-labeled.