Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nim6us

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Hello all!

I've got a MBPr that is fresh from the box, I need to restore it from a TC backup. When I got to do it via wifi the time estimation is 39 HOURS. I waited an hour or so to see if the time would recalculate and go lower, but alas it's pretty steadfast on taking days. To be fair the last size of my HD was 700GB.

My question is, is there a faster method?

Could I connect my MPBr to my TC via ethernet or USB? 39 hours sounds so daunting, and just seeing if there's an alternative or if I've done something wrong.

FYI my previous Mac is alive, if there's some port to port connection that would be an alternative to the Time Capsule.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
My question is, is there a faster method?

Gigabit Ethernet would likely be faster, yes.

FYI my previous Mac is alive, if there's some port to port connection that would be an alternative to the Time Capsule.

If your previous Mac has thunderbolt and you've got a cable, that'd be even faster than Ethernet.

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
If your previous Mac has a Thunderbolt port, start it in Thunderbolt Target Disk mode by booting while holding down the T key and connect the two computers using a thunderbolt cable. It will then appear as an external hard drive to your new Mac and you can use Migration Assist to restore to the new Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201462

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
If it's an older Mac, TB is backward compatible with FW800 with an adapter. Probably cheaper than a thunderbolt cable.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
If all else fails move the mac close to the TC and shut off any other WiFi devices so it can max the bandwidth available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.