Is there a faster way to restore from Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nim6us, Oct 2, 2016.

1. nim6us macrumors member

nim6us

Hello all!

I've got a MBPr that is fresh from the box, I need to restore it from a TC backup. When I got to do it via wifi the time estimation is 39 HOURS. I waited an hour or so to see if the time would recalculate and go lower, but alas it's pretty steadfast on taking days. To be fair the last size of my HD was 700GB.

My question is, is there a faster method?

Could I connect my MPBr to my TC via ethernet or USB? 39 hours sounds so daunting, and just seeing if there's an alternative or if I've done something wrong.

FYI my previous Mac is alive, if there's some port to port connection that would be an alternative to the Time Capsule.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Gigabit Ethernet would likely be faster, yes.

If your previous Mac has thunderbolt and you've got a cable, that'd be even faster than Ethernet.

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

If your previous Mac has a Thunderbolt port, start it in Thunderbolt Target Disk mode by booting while holding down the T key and connect the two computers using a thunderbolt cable. It will then appear as an external hard drive to your new Mac and you can use Migration Assist to restore to the new Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201462

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

If it's an older Mac, TB is backward compatible with FW800 with an adapter. Probably cheaper than a thunderbolt cable.

5. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If all else fails move the mac close to the TC and shut off any other WiFi devices so it can max the bandwidth available.