Is there a Firefox-style "Find" toolbar available for Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ascender, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ascender macrumors 68000

One of the only reasons I've stuck with Firefox is because of its brilliant Find function. Instead of control+F bringing up a small window on top of the main one, it brings up a small bar at the bottom of the main window.

In this bar you start to type and if it finds any instance of the word in the page, it highlights it in green.

I find this invaluable and its nice because its so unintrusive, particularly when working on a small laptop screen.

Just wondering if there's such a plugin available for Safari?

Thanks,

Mike.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Safari 3 beta's Find function is better than Firefox's, just try it out :)

4. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Really? Wow, shows how up to date I am with things!

Downloading it as I type....

Thanks.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you want more, I use SafariStand to start the Find function as soon as I start typing while browsing :)

P.S.: I recommend Inquisitor to all Safari users

[​IMG]

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

doubt it, sure it looks better, but it can't active the link by pressing enter on ur desired search. and it won't start before you press cmd+F

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Look at my last post...

I say its 'better' due to that orange and white effect, its brillopads :)

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

oooh, I though we are talking about safari 3 beta? looks like an addon is necessary too...

well, I do agree apple always make nice looking stuff, functionality is another story.... :)

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have two plugins for Safari (SafariStand which allows the Find thing, and "Open _blank Links In New Tab", and Inquisitor which helps my search so much that it was the original reason for me to switch from Firefox). Compare that to Firefox where many users have at least five add-ons...

I prefer the functionality of Safari 3's search to Firefox's as it draws my eye quickly on any colour page, while also showing me where other instances of my search word come up by highlighting them slightly...

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, its hard to say, some like the options, others don't, Im sure it would be boring for me to list the functions of the extensions for firefox (2000+, and Im sure not everyone find every of them useful, good thing is this world is filled with different people who like different things).

I want to make sure readers understand when you say firefox users have 5 addons, you are not talking 5 addons to do the two functions you mentioned with 2 addons for safari. because we both know firefox does single window mode by default, no addon needed, and there is not a version of inquisitor for firefox.

I was simply saying generally safari can't compete with firefox on functionality, by default, or by extensions. and I do agree apple always makes good eye candy.

EDIT: just a reminder, there is an addon for firefox, which provides the animation effect like safari 3 beta (darken the page, animated jumping to next search result, etc) https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5239
    [​IMG]

11. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

my firefox won't do that without plugins (or changing settings) aswell, so I guess that puts it in the boat with my Safari 3 beta.

(my Safari 3 beta is still too unstable, however, so I'm sticking with firefox for now.. :))

other pro's with FF is free bookmark syncing between computers

12. ascender thread starter macrumors 68000

Now using it and I love it!

Thanks for the heads up.

13. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

changing setting in preference panel, IMHO, is quite different from searching internet->find a website->download an addon->close browser-> extract, copy and past, ->open browse->goto preference...:)

this remind me, safari does need a good extension system.if apple feels the necessity.