Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HoodRabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Is there a free VoIP service without paying? Excluding the ones where you only get a 1 minute call?

Thanks.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I don't know if this helps but on a Wifi connection, use Fring (from app store) then log-in your Skype account, then you can call Skype to Skype users from your iPhone.

HoodRabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Well see i just bought an ipod for my girl friend and her phone service isnt very good, and i knew about voip. Anyway what im trying to do is to make calls from her itouch to a mobile device.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Well see i just bought an ipod for my girl friend and her phone service isnt very good, and i knew about voip. Anyway what im trying to do is to make calls from her itouch to a mobile device.

Oh, from an iPod Touch to a mobile device. If it was iPod touch to an iPod touch, my first suggestion is feasible. With regards to other mobile devices, it requires $$$ to use them, AFAIK no free yet.

HoodRabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
Yeah I knew you could do itouch to itouch. I just forgot to say to mobile. There has to be a free service got to find one b4 valentines day =/
Thanks for your reply

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

Look at it from the perspective of the service provider. They have to purchase a bank of telephone lines in order to bridge your VoIP call from their server to the voice telephone system, through which it would travel the rest of the way to the receiving telephone device. Those telephone lines, and the calls that pass through them, cost the service provider money.

On the other hand, for pure VoIP calls (where no part of the call needs to pass through the voice telephone system) the service provider's costs are virtually nonexistent, because the calls never need to pass through their servers at all, but rather can travel through the Internet peer-to-peer.

If there is also a version of Skype available for whatever mobile device your girlfriend would most commonly call, then such calls would be free for her.

Impulse29

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2004
You could spend $3 per month for unlimited calling in North America (not sure where you are). This is probably as close to free as you'll find. Of course that would only let her call out and for $60 per year, I believe, you can get your own number. Still much cheaper than a comparable cell phone contract, but you need the wifi.

brax.j

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
Yeah I knew you could do itouch to itouch. I just forgot to say to mobile. There has to be a free service got to find one b4 valentines day =/
Thanks for your reply

It's called an iPod Touch not an itouch. An iPod Touch is a touch screen music device made by Apple INC. in Cupertino, CA. An itouch has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

HoodRabbit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
It's called an iPod Touch not an itouch. An iPod Touch is a touch screen music device made by Apple INC. in Cupertino, CA. An itouch has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

-.- really?

Well anyways thanks for your replies I knew how VoIP works I just was hoping maybe there was a company out there with a free option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.