Is there a function to repair, scan or fix this slow computer

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacM4ODA, Jul 1, 2013.

1. MacM4ODA macrumors regular

REPAIR, SCAN or fix this slow computer ?

i have deleted cookies reset w to do..., so is there a repair function ?

regards,

Puzzled

2. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

thank you Steve, i have not down loaded it ..., yet !!

have you used it ? is it safe ? what i mean is there any hidden "trap doors" ? like constant pop ups ?

awaiting your reply,

regards

3. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Onyx is very reputable - it's been around for years. It does require entering your password, but don't be alarmed.

The only pain is that some of its functions require a restart. To go through all of its routines takes 2 or 3 times rebooting depending what you clean.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

As DisMyMac said above, it's fine. I've used it for years and it's an excellent app and has many useful features.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"...REPAIR, SCAN or fix this slow computer ?"

Could you tell us a little more about WHICH computer you have, and which OS is currently running on it?

Also, how large a hard drive do you have, and how "full" is it?

Also, how much RAM do you have installed?

6. macthefork macrumors 6502

You can also try a Safe Boot by holding down the shift key when booting. This will run some repair routines (fsck) in addition to cleaning out some system caches. After the desktop appears in Safe Mode, be sure to reboot again normally.

Yes, it would help to know which iMac and OS you're using, with RAM and HD info, as already suggested. And, what exactly is running slow? Is it your browser? a specific Application? All Applications?

OnyX is a good utility. I too, have used it for many years. Be sure to download the version for your current OS.

7. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

i done every thing you folks told me to do, followed all onyx instructions and the following is what i get.

THIS APPLICATION ONYX QUIT UNEXPECTEDLY.

no mater what i do that message always comes up even after i uninstall and reinstall i get this message

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Fill us in. What is your system and what OS version are you using? What version of Onyx did you install? I've never had this issue with Onyx on my 08 MBP running the most current ML update.

If Onyx won't run, scan your drive with Disk Utility. Run the verify and fix permissions routines in that order.

Dale

9. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

My info

i done a SW update and nothing changed since last update around Feb. this year.

soft ware update: Your software is up to date.

Mac OS X

Ver 10.5.8

processor: 2.4GHzIntel Core 2 Duo

Mem: 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.20f4

do you folks need any further info ? i am at wits end trying to get this Mac back to the way it was originally, i also found out that when i click on my volume controls i get my "Dashboard" my /\ \/ scroll does not work.., it is just a total freaking mess.

HELP !!

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What, specifically is slow? Slow startup? Slow running specific apps? It will be easier to help if you describe the problem you're having in more detail.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:
    Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

11. fa8362 macrumors 65816

1 GB of RAM is not nearly enough for anything. You need more RAM.

12. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

thank you, where do i get it, what is the cost ? and can i install it myself or do i need to call a technician ? is it a "plug'n play" thingy ?

13. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

my problem sir(s and ladies), is not so much the slowness, but none of the "F" keys function as they once did, e.g., F10, 11, 12 were for volume and mute, now when i click F11 i get three different screen shots, F12 get me the dashboard etc., the scroll keys only function with the top line where safari, file, edit etc. (don't know it's name)

there is just so many things not working as they once did..., say, a year ago :eek:

i am sorry folks but i just do not know how to describe ALL the problems, just a few minutes ago when posting on a political forum THAT particular window froze up, i clicked on another window and every thing went fine, i could scroll with the mouse, click on a topic and it would show up, the window where it froze up i deleted it opened a new window and it worked fine.

on that very top bar where the time is, i once had the actual date and time, now it just shows "THU 4 07 03" and the time is not moving, now it is telling me every key stroke, when i moved volume button to mid level.

this is beginning to drive me crazy YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGG :eek: :eek: :eek: !!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you would benefit from a reinstall of your operating system. I recommend you back up your hard drive, then reformat and reinstall OS X, then reinstall your applications and restore your user files from your backup. Additional RAM would certainly help with slow performance, but it won't help with the issues that you're describing now.

15. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

There's a system setting for the behavior of the function keys. It sounds like one of your issues could be solved by that. I wish I was at my Mac so I could give you exact steps, but it's something like this:
    * open OS X settings (it's an icon with grey gears on it called something like Settings or System Settings or something similar).
    * in there, click the icon labeled keyboard (or something similar).
    * scroll through and find a checkbox that mentions the F keys and toggle it.

There is a setting for the format of the clock, too, though I fotget how to get there (either you can click directly on the clock to open a menu or find the Date/Time control pannel in system settings).

Maybe the cause of all this is that at some point your system settings got reset somehow.

You might want to go though all the system settings and see if you can find other things to adjust.

The issue where the window froze up is probably something different though. It sounds like it was a browser window (like Safari or Chrome, right?). Most likely, it froze up due to a plugin. Unfortunately, I couldn't guess which one.

16. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Consult your manual. All the aluminum iMacs, with the exception of the 21.5" 2012 models are easy. Don't know about the white ones. Go to Crucial.com and use their selector to determine the RAM you need.

17. macthefork, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

If your Mac is this one, or this one, you could use this RAM. (double check your model identifier)

If your model is the Early 2008 iMac you can use this RAM

You can also check the Crucial site and put in your model iMac.

It's easy to replace. It takes a phillips screw driver to remove the small panel on the bottom of your iMac. Then remove, replace or add RAM.

RAM is a possible culprit. However, if the computer was running fine and then started acting up after you've been doing the same thing for years, it's possible the HDD is starting to go. These symptoms can fit a failing HDD. Have you gone into Disk Utilities and selected the HDD and run "Verify Disk"? Or Apple Hardware Test? (off your original install disks)

18. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

i have a WD external HD with 4GB storage, it shows 465.4GB total and 430.4GB free, i have my setting to automatically back up after each session, therefore i am presuming everything is backed up as of now.

so, adding RAM should be no problem.., right ?

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Adding RAM does not affect any information stored on your drives.

20. macthefork macrumors 6502

I would never assume or presume everything is backed up. Be SURE everything is backed up. With Time Machine it's easy to check the last backup date in Time Machine preferences. With a clone, I'd boot from the clone, just to be sure.

As was mentioned previously, the RAM won't affect anything on your hard drives. But, if you still have trouble after installing the RAM, I'd check that HDD further by verifying it in disk utilities or through Apple Hardware test.

Some of what you've mentioned as symptoms (such as changes in the way your OS is working) could be the result of a failing HDD with some file corruption.

21. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

has anyone here ever replaced a HDD in their iMac ? if "yes" how hard was it ?

i watched the Apple tech replace my first HDD when it was still under warranty, it looked difficult, but he said it was easy...., yaa, for him !:D

if my HDD is failing and i call a tech to come replace it can this iMac be up graded to the latest version ? and what would be the expected cost ?

i am going to get a 2X ram just to see if that will fix any of the existing problems then go from there.

thank you all for your help and suggestions:apple:

22. macthefork, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

macthefork macrumors 6502

23. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

thank you, that was very interesting and informative.

i still need an answer to this Q., can this iMac be up graded to the latest version ?

i bought it Feb. 2008AD, nothing has been added to or changed since new except for.., the HD was changed just before the extended warranty run out, which was 2011-12, do not recall and can not find the paperwork.

when i add RAM is the module generic to iMacs or is it specific to this model ?

i appreciate all the help you folks provide..., thank you !

24. macthefork macrumors 6502

RAM is specific to the iMac model. Go to Crucial site or OWC and add your model number (found in About This Mac) and it will list the proper RAM modules.

I'm not sure what you mean by "updated to latest version." Do you mean the OS? Right around your model year is where the cutoff is for Mountain Lion, so you'd have to search for your exact model to see if ML is compatible with yours.