Is there a future for iPad 2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dr. McKay, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I wasn't really into all that iOS stuff until I was given the opportunity to borrow an iPad 2 from work and take it home for the weekend.

My family and myself were instantly hooked. To cut a long story short : we want one.

Of course, we're going to wait until the iPad 3 is released, but I'm not sure yet if we're going to choose the latest version. The iPad 2 seems very capable and rumour has it, Apple is going to continue the iPad at a lower price point.

Question is, when the iPad 3 is launched, how much of a future will there be left for iPad 2, even if it's cheaper. Developers will soon be releasing apps exclusively for iPad 3's retina display leaving iPad 2 (and 1) in the cold.
    Is iPad 2 still a good choice ? Will there be new apps that run on iPad 2 ?

Maybe some iPad 1 owners can give some feedback here. Were they left behind with the release of iPad 2 ? What apps are they missing out on ?

2. motoleo, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  3. Stealthipad, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Apple is still supporting very old iPhones and I would bet they will not leave the iPad without it's love.

The iPad 2 was a HUGE seller and will be supported for years and years.

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

It seems as if Apple is trying to keep all the iPads supported.

It looked like iPad 1 had been left behind when gesture came, but then Apple fixed that with upgrade to iOS. It looked like iPad 1 had been left behind when the new iBooks were released, then Apple fixed that with iOS update. So far it looks like iPad one has kept up, except for no camera and a bit slower in response than the iPad 2.

My father has iPad 1 and after 2 years it can still do everything my iPad 2 does, except take pictures and use a Smart Cover.

5. DaLurker macrumors 6502

If you look at what they've done with the iPhone, Apple will start to leave devices "behind" when the hardware can't support the new features they want to build.

For example, the iPhone 3G does not support iOS 5 because it is just too slow, whereas the 3GS is supported.

Once they start releasing features that require the faster CPU or the increase in RAM, then the older devices will start to be left behind. Apple's usually not one to be held back by legacy hardware.

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

The iPad 2 will still have a future. Perhaps they'll drop support for the iPad 1 when iOS 6 is released, if it needs a bit more power.

Whether to buy an iPad 2 though - that has to depend on the price. You have to assume you'll get 1 year less 'life' from it, as it's basically a year old device now. The iPad 3 is obviously going to be better too - faster, and with a much better screen (unless the rumours are all wrong). So I'd say the iPad 3 is an easy choice unless the 2 is a *lot* cheaper - if it was half the price it would definitely be a tough choice!

7. number84 macrumors 6502

if you can wait, suggest to see what the iPad3 will have to offer. if the processor and graphics speed is not increased significantly and you don't care too much for higher resolution screen (ie., "retina"), then an iPad2 will serve you nicely for a while, especially at a lower cost.

for myself, i really do want the retina screen, as i do lots of reading on it.

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I bet Apple keeps the base 16GB wifi iPad 2 as a low-cost option to compete against cheap tablets like the Fire and Nook.

9. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Agreed, it'll be the same sort of scheme they currently have for the iPhones (3GS, 4, 4s).

Also, on the flip side of the coint, Apple in the past (as best as I can recall) has not sold a device that doesn't support their newest software. So if they continue to sell the iPad 2, it means they'll continue supporting it.

10. number84 macrumors 6502

^ even if they stop selling the iPad2, they'll keep supporting it (at least in the short term)...there's no way they'd stop support only after a year! that being said, i'm leaning towards them selling both alongside each other.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Well, to be honest, I'm reading this and I think that you (and your family) are planning on using the iPad for a really long time (2+ years). The iPad 2 will certainly get the upgrade to iOS 6 this year, but no one knows if it is going to get an upgrade to iOS 7 the year after (iPad 3 definitely will).

So, assuming you are planning on keeping the iPad for 2+ years, I'd definitely go for the most recent model (which will be the iPad 3 in a few weeks). Why? The most recent model is always most future proof and always has the best user experience (especially when a new iOS-update is released).

If they are keeping the iPad 2, than the iPad 2 will sell at $399 and the iPad 3 will start at $499.

There's a $100 difference, and I realize that's actually quite a lot for a lot of people, but now think about it: do you really want to save $100 on a device that you are going to keep for two years? The iPad 3 will offer a better experience in the next two years, than the iPad 2 (assuming iPad 3's hardware is better). $100 over two years. That's only $0.14 a day extra.

Is there a future for iPad 2? Yes, definitely. It will definitely get an upgrade to iOS 6, and maybe to iOS 7.

Is the iPad 2 going to give the best experience? No, the iPad 3 does.

12. rosser1982 macrumors newbie

Here is MY question. Right now the ipad2 64gb's are going for 600 refurbished from Apple. (thats the one I am interested in) When the ipad3 comes out do you think these will still be available? Will the price drop? If the ipad 2's are offered at a lower price point, will they offer th 64gb or is apple afraid they will cannibalize the ipad 3's

What do you all think?

Is now the time to strike on the Ipad 2 refurbs? or wait a bit longer???

13. 3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

I'm hoping to grab a refurb iPad 2 16GB wifi for $350 after iPad 3 release.:D

14. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4s will likely be getting updated through at least ios7. Therefore, the iPad 2 will likely be updated just as long since they have the same processor. That's just a guess on my part, but it seems pretty reasonable.

15. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Love this post, my GF wanted to save money and only buy the 16GB iPhone. I said id give her another 100 just so she wouldn't hate the phone in 3 months. She wound up buying the 64GB and can now can throw anything at it and not worry about space.