Is there a GENIUS out there???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacBoy1981, Nov 19, 2007.

1. MacBoy1981 macrumors newbie

I have been having a lot of trouble since I upgraded to 10.5.1. Apparently, there is an application called the PubSubAgent, which is linked to/used in syncing Safari bookmarks with dotmac. I do not use dotmac at all, nor is it set up on my computer or in sys pref. Safari no longer works since the 'upgrade.' It unexpectedly quits every time I open it. Every 30 minutes, I receive an error msg that PubSubAgent has quit unexpectedly as well. I am now using Firefox to connect to the net.

AppleSupport had no idea how to fix this. Is there a Genius out there that can help me?

a) Is it possible to fix this? If not,

b) Is it possible to delete anything and everything associated with dotmac so that I will not have this problem anymore?

FYI, I have deleted Safari and the error msg about PubSub still pops up.
    - Is the earlier version of Safari compatible with Leopard?

Attached Files:

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I'm positive it's possible to fix. If you're looking for a Apple Genius - Apple employees are "supposed" to not be in these forums. (though I'm not sure what Apples Employee Non-Disclosure Agreement entails...

I AM confident that if this Mac is under warranty - An Apple Genius can fix it. Or help you, for a cost, if it's not.

But here is probably one of the first places to look.

I've never even heard of PubSubAgent - FTR.

3. MacBoy1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am just looking for any genius that can solve this. I am under warranty, but they were clueless as to what the problem could be.

PubSubAgent seems to be something new in Leopard. Apparently it is a tool for syncing RSS feeds and bookmarks in Safari with dotmac. Here is Apple's reference: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306870

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Have you tried downloading Safari 3.0 for Leopard again - removing your old one / and the preference pane / library files with it - then re-installing?

I'm sure you did. But just removing the "application" itself won't always do the trick. You gotta root out all it's bits and pieces, too.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

when you removed safari did you also remove the pref files?

6. MacBoy1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I did not do this originally. I will do it now and post back shortly. Thank you.

P.S. Where do I find these prefs, as the problem lies not in my user account, but somewhere outside of it? We tested this with a test account earlier.

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

WAIT WAIT WAIT!

This sounds silly - but be sure to download Safari BEFORE you delete your old one. :)

I've had this happen to me with Windows in the past, and after deleting Internet Explorer - it THEN dawned on me I could not visit any web pages without an active Browser. :D

Anyhow - get your download, and search MacRumors for "complete removal safari" - if no dice - try Google or Apple.com (they have forums and tech bulletins there that can be very helpful)

Gosh, I hope you see this message before you removed Safari == because then you won't be seeing it much. :eek:

8. MacBoy1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm currently using Firefox, remember? ... and thanks for the search tips. That's really helpful.

Have a wonderful day!

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Sorry - I think web browser on OSX - i say Safari.

In all truth - your Firefox might not be compatible with Leopard.

If you have Safari - can that be used without any issues?

And as for my mistake - just re-read all my responses, but cut "Safari" and past "Fire Fox" It should still work for you. :D

10. MacBoy1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, that makes more sense now. :)

Actually, Firefox seems to be completely compatible with Leopard. It even runs in Safe Boot, under which, I was told by Apple, that no third party software will operate. I have no problem staying with Firefox as my primary browser, because my real problem lies elsewhere.

The main problem here is this PubSubAgent message that pops up every 30 mins, a copy of which is posted in my first posting above. Any ideas on how I fix that?

Thanks again! You guys are great! :)

11. EDN macrumors newbie

How to change permissions on PubSubAgent???

Same issue here--I've been trying to figure out how to get the damn pop-up that asks me to type in my keychain password for two days to stop. I want to use the syncing options, but I think that I hit "allow" instead of "always allow" when the pubsub box first appeared. There doesn't appear to be a way to change it's initial permission. I've searched the keychains and played with the settings, deleted the pubsub playlist to try to get it to reset. This problem is all over the net, but I can't find the one that points to a real fix.

12. MacBoy1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed

*** What I did was the following:

I went to Apple.com and downloaded the latest version of the Leopard update (at that time, 10.5.1) and reinstalled it manually. After restarting my computer, I never had the problem again.

13. EDN macrumors newbie

I'm already on 10.5.2. I tried re-installing the latest update. :mad: