Is there a global option somewhere to close app when last window closes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vexorg, Sep 21, 2015.

1. vexorg macrumors 6502a

I've found I end up with a pile of apps still running because I close the window and the app remains open.

Some apps will close on the window closing, like preview and text edit. Others like excel or powerpoint don't exit the app on closing the window, and stay in memory running.

Ideally I'd prefer the app quits when the last window is closed, like microsoft windows always does. It seem unnecessary to tell the app to quit. Or more annoy, when you selected it to close, it then waits opening a dialog so you can create a new doc.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Sorry, with the Mac OS, for many applications it is necessary to Quit the app if you want the app to quit. No, you can't make it behave like Windows.

The ones that quit when you close the "last" window are generally the ones that cannot have multiple windows open anyway.

3. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

Preview can have lots of windows.

Powerpoint and excel can be a bit of resource hogs. I tend to forget they are running if I have a quick look at an attachment, whereas preview closes after viewing an attachment.

Just need to remember to close the app.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Which is why I said "generally". There are always exceptions.

5. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

⌘+q will close all instances of an app if it's the active app in the menu bar.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Let's be more precise. You're describing how to Quit an app.

7. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know that one, I tend to avoid that as the active app can change the menu bar, and risk closing the wrong app :D

8. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

You could use the App Switcher if you are concerned over the accuracy of what app is quitting..

Command+TAB, tab again til desired app is selected(keep in mind the command key is depressed the whole time), then once the selector is over the correct app, while still holding command, tap q.