Is there a global "page setup"?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fredhargis, Mar 9, 2009.

1. fredhargis macrumors newbie

Another one of my dumb questions...it seems no matter what program we try to print out of (to an HP Photosmart printer) from our Mac pro, there seems to be a default page setting of an index card. So, unless you remember to reset the page each time, you get a pile of paper with a 3x5 section printed in one corner. I've looked everywhere for the culprit and can't find it. Any ideas where I look to return this to "US Letter"?

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

There is the option to set a default printer & page size in the Print & Fax pane of System Preferences.

3. fredhargis thread starter macrumors newbie

That one in the printer/fax section is set to US letter...but the #$@& computer still thinks the 3x5 index card is the default...any other ideas????? grrrr, this is driving me nuts!

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Try going to the print dialogue window (i.e. start to print a document). This probably where you are changing the paper size, in anycase. Instead of just changing the paper size here, go to "manage custom paper sizes" which is listed at the bottom of the paper sizes. (I working with an up to date version of Leopard.) I think there is a spot there where you can set a default size. My desktop system had somewhere set itself to A3 as a default. I think it was here that I reset it back to Letter size. Also, on the print dialogue, look at the "Presets". My choices are Standard and Last Used. Perhaps yours has something weird there. Good Luck.

ps.... use a standard Apple print window. I don't know if all 3rd party apps use the standard window.