Is there a go-to older MBP to buy?

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Wandering
I was just looking at my sister's MPB. If I remember correctly, it's a 2015 model. Specs were something like 2.7Ghz, i5, 256GB SSD. It has every port you could need, HDMI and SD card reader included. This MBP seems better than a 2020 to me.

Is there a known older model that maximizes performance and features like hers seems to? If so, is there a decent website to buy like-new or above average condition for them?

r6mile

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Do you mean older than that one? The one you refer to is the one my sister has (following my recommendation), and it's great. The last MBP with regular USB ports, and without the 'butterfly' keyboard.

Older than that, there is the last non-retina 2012 Macbook Pro, which has reached mythical status because it's the last one where you can upgrade the RAM and the SSD, and you can get it with an i7 CPU.

Reactions: YaBoiD

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Wandering
Do you mean older than that one? The one you refer to is the one my sister has (following my recommendation), and it's great. The last MBP with regular USB ports, and without a butterfly keyboard.
Not older than that one. That one is one I would buy. I'm thinking any model that used to have ports and perform well. I suppose older than 2017 might make sense.
- - Post merged: - -

I just found this website which seems to have many options. I'm not sure what the "best" model was, but I still feel like the one she has is probably awesome.

This is the cheapest one I see in their "mint condition" category:

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Wandering
2015 model was the last one with that wide range of ports. 15 inch model will be more powerful, much better GPU options.
Cool. That is the model I'm most interested in then, if not a 2014 to save more money, which I linked above. Seems like it might be pretty similar to the 2015.

Can the 2014-2015 storage and RAM be upgraded?

Last edited:

justashooter

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2020
The 2015 is the one to get, the 15 inch will be faster, but the 13 inch is nice too. The good keyboard, lots of ports, etc. The ram can not be upgraded, it is soldered in. The storage can be upgraded, but it is much easier to just buy it with the storage you need. Check out Other World Computing for used MacBook Pros.

Reactions: Savage

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Wandering
The 2015 is the one to get, the 15 inch will be faster, but the 13 inch is nice too. The good keyboard, lots of ports, etc. The ram can not be upgraded, it is soldered in. The storage can be upgraded, but it is much easier to just buy it with the storage you need. Check out Other World Computing for used MacBook Pros.
Perfect, thanks!

magbarn

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The 2015 Macbook Pro 15 is awesome, particularly if you can find one with iGPU only as the Intel Iris Pro is super reliable and is much much quicker than the crappy HD 630 junk we get even on the MBP 16 that you use mostly when on battery. In other words, the 2015 MBP 15 is SMOOTHER when running off battery intel GPU vs the MBP 16.

Also, the 2015 MBP 15 is the only one of that generation that supports NVME SSD's natively. So with an adapter you drop in any NVME (except Samsung for some reason) and have much better performance and capacity than stock Apple drives while saving tons of money.

Savage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Wandering
The 2015 Macbook Pro 15 is awesome, particularly if you can find one with iGPU only as the Intel Iris Pro is super reliable and is much much quicker than the crappy HD 630 junk we get even on the MBP 16 that you use mostly when on battery. In other words, the 2015 MBP 15 is SMOOTHER when running off battery intel GPU vs the MBP 16.

Also, the 2015 MBP 15 is the only one of that generation that supports NVME SSD's natively. So with an adapter you drop in any NVME (except Samsung for some reason) and have much better performance and capacity than stock Apple drives while saving tons of money.
I LOVE the idea of getting a 2015. I’m glad I thought of this before getting a 2020. The two websites in this thread look really nice and trustworthy, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.