Is there a good electric razor?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Sep 24, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Greetings all

Edit: This post is for shaving the face and only the face. Due to other posts floating around this board... I am not planning on shaving my legs, body, chest, arms, or "other" areas. Just for your information.

Firstly, I know that the words "electric razor" and "good, close shave" do not really belong together in the same sentence. However, as a 22 year old male, and creator of this post, I've been through it all and I cannot get a good shave with a razor. I have tried every single cartridge razor that exists (well, all the ones available today anyways), as well as two DE safety razors. I've tried all sorts of creams and spent tons of money on brushes, etc. - you name it for shaving gear, I have it. Problem is this: for me, getting a close shave and not irritating my skin are mutually exclusive events. They cannot happen at the same time. If I shave very gently, only with the grain, practically nothing comes off. If I go against the grain, I end up taking off more than the hair. Long ago, when I started shaving, an electric worked alright - today, not so much. However, that is an old and not-so-great electric. But at least with an electric, you do not cut/irritate as easily. My skin must just be super sensitive.

So back to my question, is there any electric razor that can do a good job? I have been looking at these:

Braun series 7: http://www.amazon.com/Braun-7-790cc-Pulsonic-Shaver/dp/B000Q6SU3C

Norelco Arcitec: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norel...ef=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1222299814&sr=1-9 (or some variety of this ... they have quite a few types ... not sure of the differences)

But I don't want to spend like $200-300 on a razor unless I know it is going to do something. Has anyone had a good experience with an electric razor and if yes, can you please recommend me something? Thanks.

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

To be honest, it depends on your beard. Finer hair, most any type will do. But coarse hair, is another story. I have very course beard, and an electric won't work for me.

As to using a Razor, wet a wash cloth with very warm water, ring out and apply to your face for a couple of minuets before shaving. It helps make the shaving easier.

3. aviddk macrumors regular

If you have a coarse beard don't even think about it, unless you are a masochist.

A hot shower even works better. The hot wash cloth helps but still leaves me with painful shaving.

Me, I gave up in college and grew a beard. I do shave daily below and above my beard for neatness. It is the coarse hair along my jawline which requires a chainsaw.

4. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

I have fairly sensitive skin and can easily get shaving rashes, as such my advise to you is the following.

Electric razors: SUCK.

Normal razors: try some of the following:
    1. Shave in the shower, towards the end of your shower when the heat and water has had it's effect on you.
    2. If you are prone to rashes, learn the best direction to shave in for you. This may vary all over your chin but you can learn.
    3. Use a after-shave blam, these things can really help stop rashes.
    4. Back to the sensitive thing, leave a few days beetween shaves. Obviously this depends on your growth rate.
    5. Don't be afriad to try different razors. They are hard to find but single blade razors can be a lot mnore effective on problem skin and with thicker growth the more blades the more clogged they get. Ignore the blade hype and find what is right for you.

Maybe that will help you, who knows? It's worth a go a least!

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I use a Norelco, it is fine if you don't let it get to long. I shave about every 3 days. If I push a week I need to trim before I shave.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I have a Norelco as well and it works fine as long as you stay on top of it. I also have a regular razor and if I get lazy for a few days I will use that before I go back to the electric.

7. portent macrumors 6502a

I think it really depends on your skin and hair type, and only you can determine that for yourself.

Personally, I have sort of the same problem...if I use a blade against the grain, I get a very close shave and about a thousand tiny, burning cuts that become irritated bumps after a few hours. If I use it with the grain, I get a nice five-o-clock shadow.

I use a Braun foil shaver...a decent $80 5775. It works for me quite well most of the time. I think it helps that I've been using the same type of shaver for practically the last decade.

For what it's worth, they say it takes at least five days of using a new shaver/razor to get used to it. I think it may be more like five weeks.

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Likewise. I have a Reamington which works perfectly for me unless i can't be arsed to shave for a while. The electric doesn't do long hair well so i will use a conventional razor then and only then.
    My electric razor gives me a very smooth shave. I wouldn't say that it was as smooth as a normal razor but it works well for me as i have sensitive skin and its easier as you don't need to use creams etc.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I have a Braun that I bought last year. I don't know the model number, but I spent about $150 on it. It does a damn good job for an electric. It's obviously not as good as a blade, but the decreased irritation is well worth the tradeoff. It's light years better than a Panasonic razor I had years ago. The Braun is capable of mowing down a week's worth of facial hair in about five minutes.

10. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I've been using Norelco triple-headed shavers since the mid-70's and I haven't had any issues.

That being said, one MUST learn how to use the things. Use a sorta-circular motion and you won't have the lift-and-cut thingies tugging much, though 'Lectric Shave face preparer would be well worth your while.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Lectric shave is great but I think norelcos are worthless. Braun's foil shavers shave a lot better especially for sensitive skin.