Is there a good external Blu-Ray Drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by techfreak85, Jan 16, 2009.

1. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

Im looking to get one for my iMac and was wondering what options were out there.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Legal disclaimer: You do realize that OS X cannot play commercial Blu-ray movies at all and cannot burn to blank Blu-ray media without third-party software, correct?

Just clarifying.

3. Rhodan macrumors member

I was also wondering if there are any decent drives available, can anyone recommend one?

4. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i know, whats the big deal with third party software?

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nothing at all. I was just making sure you knew you couldn't use it for anything but data in OS X.

6. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

no playback with vlc or other? ripping/converting to mkv?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Rip with AnyDVD HD in Windows, and after running the video and audio through five separate applications, you can get it into OS X and convert it again there.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Basically theres no way to put a Blu-Ray dvd inside a mac or external blu-ray drive and watch it without converting loads before using a different windows computer.

There will be in 6 months however when Snow Leopard is released.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I look at this and smile, wanting full well it to be true myself.

Do you really believe that there will be Blu-ray support in Snow Leopard? Do you have any evidence to back this claim? If so, I'll add it as a point in my Gainestown Mac Pro thread.

But right now I'm sticking with my 2015 rationale.

10. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

if only....

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I bought this external bluray player.

Sorry couldn't resist

Attached Files:

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You could be right, personally I think Blu-Ray DVD's may be obscelete soon simply due to increasing internet speeds, however the only thing that leads me to believe they may introduce integrated Blu-Ray playback at WWDC for OS X Snow Leopard is that the new Macbook Pro's 9600M GT graphics chip supports Blu-Ray DVD DRM authentication so if you try putting a fake Blu-Ray dvd in your superdrive and playing it back you'd basically just see a black screen. This could be a coincidence but why would Apple go to the expense if it was..

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

See, the only thing with the Internet is... and it's... that's why I said it wouldn't... and the DRM, it's...

I'm going to rewrite my "No Blu-ray until 2015" rationale and post it in my new Gainestown Mac Pro thread. :D What I have is good, but it's wordy and probably needs to be reorganized.

14. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

To get a full 1080p picture with Master sound would take what seems like days with the fastest servers, and Comcast limits us to 250GB/Month?

15. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

On my 50 Mbps connection it would take about 10 mins to download a full 1080p movie, and soon most people in western countries will have easy, cheap access to those kinds of download speeds, with optical broadband, and I dont have any monthly download limit. The only problem with downloading Blu-Ray movies is the whole DRM issue.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Really?! Hang on a tic... I need to shift my argument upward, then...

Can you summarize the problems with incorporating HDCP into OS X? I admit that I'm very confused about what the problem is at this point. :confused::eek:

17. techfreak85 thread starter macrumors 68040

techfreak85

But realistically....
    And were do i sign up for these 1080p movies besides the pirate bay? :D

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

If Bandwidth can support bluray quality video and the latest audio formats then yes pershaps in 5 years.
    What bluray does have on its side is cable companies have been slow to make higher speeds affordable. Its taken over 8 years to have 10Mbs under $50 a month where 5Mbs is runnig around $19 to $24 based on the packaging.

With bluray consuming far more memroy than a dvd disc bandwidths will have to accommodate the larger file size.

19. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

In the UK, most of Europe and most of South Eastern Asia 50mbps is around $50 per month so i think it seems the US has been left behind on this one...

it seems your cable companies like ripping you off.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its fairly obvious as soon as theyre available for commercial download, people like Axxo are going to find numerous ways around the DRM, just like with the old iTunes music.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, yes; that's the human drive to prove people (DRMtards) wrong. ;)

But if it's as easy as this to add HDCP to iTunes/QuickTime and OS X, then why haven't they already, is my question. :confused:

22. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Yeah no secret there.
    For two nights I had an open modem which several speed tests had clock my bandwidth at 98Mbps. Then back down to a choking 9.4Mbps.

US technology is built on excuses why things can't be implemented.

23. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

That's not entirely correct. a Full HD 1080p movie is about 50GB. You can download a max of 6,1MB/sec which makes 21,9GB/hour. You would need about 2 and a half hours to download a Full HD movie...and only if you have this bandwidth all the time (which I seriously doubt).
    Of course if you mean a highly compressed movie, then you are probably right. Blu-Ray is far superior than anything else on the market and it will be for years to come, till the Internet starts to offer much more bandwidth...and the Hard drives go very very big..

24. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Usenet ;)

25. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

..and to answer the original question, I have the Buffalo Blu-Ray external writer and it works great on my Mac Pro using Toast Titanium. Of course Blu-Ray playback isn't possible but everything else (e.g ripping) is...