is there a good itunes forum or "itunes for dummies" site?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bjpad2, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bjpad2 macrumors member

I need help putting photos and pdf's on the ipad. I do not want to put music on it.

I've had an ipod for a long time, now I've added an ipad and I think I need to connect the ipad to itunes in order to put files onto the ipad. However my experience with itunes is that it will always copy everything to the device when you connect and I don't want it to do that. I have a lot of music stored under itunes and I don't want it put on the ipad, but I don't want to take it out of itunes either. I've searched the internet and found a few places where it says you can tell itunes to sync some things and not others, but I can't find that in my itunes and nobody every says exactly how to do it.

I'm running itunes on Windows, does it have the same functionality as on the Mac? What I find on the internet is that it will say "click on the plus on the corner", or "click on the books tab", or whatever. None of these things exist on itunes for Windows. I need some kind of guide that is more specific on how to do this and will show exactly where to click and so forth. That way at least I have a screen shot that I can compare with my program. If necessary then I could take screenshots of my program and post both side by side so people could tell my why mine is different.

Alternately I was going to set up a dropbox account. Can I use dropbox exclusively and forget about the hassles of itunes?

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

You won't get those options until you connect your ipad to itunes, thats why you can't find them. Just connect your ipad to itunes and all will become clear, stop panicking about it, even if it does start copying everything over you can stop it and undo anything its done.

3. bjpad2 thread starter macrumors member

My apology- I just realized I posted this under iphone vs. ipad. Well it is somewhat on topic because I have an iphone also. I ordered the iphone 4 on the first day it was available for order and have never synced it with itunes for the same reason- I didn't want my music library copied to it. But honestly I haven't really seen a need to sync it, since I don't transfer documents to and from it. I download and install apps either over 3G or wifi.