Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
I've got iTunes on one computer organising the iTunes Media folder on the NAS, I'm looking for a media player to use on the other computers.

Basically I'd like to have a media player that scans the folder on the NAS at startup (I could even initiate the scan manually) to remove what's no longer there and add what's new (the same way XBMC does), mainly for listening to music. So I'd like to be able to sort music by artist, genre, album etc.. I rarely, if ever, watch movies or TV shows on the computer, and I don't need to be able to sync content with any devices.

Is there something out there for me? I can't find anything, but my google skills might be lacking...

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The client shouldn't have to scan as the NAS should know what it's got. No?

Does your NAS have some kind of media server built in?

Many have either iTunes compatible servers or other UPnP server.

B

hafr

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 21, 2011
The client shouldn't have to scan as the NAS should know what it's got. No?

Does your NAS have some kind of media server built in?

Many have either iTunes compatible servers or other UPnP server.

B
It does, but then I have to put all the music in a specific folder, and all the video in another, so it's incompatible with letting iTunes on the server take care of the file structure.

What I meant was this. If you consider iTunes, there is no way to have iTunes automatically remove entries that points to files that no longer exist, and only adds new entries automatically if the files are placed in the Auto-Add-folder. This means that I would have to manually add the files already in the file structure into iTunes, and manually remove the entries in iTunes that points to files I no longer have. XBMC on the other hand can scan the media folder upon start and clear/add entries according to which files are present.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.