Is there a good solution for watching DVD's/Blu-rays through the ATV4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BrettDS, Oct 30, 2015.

1. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I canceled my cable TV subscription years ago and have been getting my TV content primarily through netflix streaming and OTA. I have been using SageTV to control everything, but SageTV was purchased by google some time ago and is no longer being updated and recently the 2TB hard drive I had been saving recordings on failed and that was enough to rethink my solution.

My wife has been pushing to get an Apple TV for a while now, so the new gen 4 ATV was enough to push me over the edge. I retired my Sage system and I purchased two new ATV's for the TV's in the living room and the master bedroom and I may purchase a third for the guest room TV. I also picked up a four tuner Tablo to handle my OTA TV. Right now I can stream it to the ATV from my iPad through Airplay and Tablo has stated that they are working on a native ATV app.

The only thing I really miss from Sage (well, other than automatic commercial skip) is the ability to play DVD's and Blu-Rays. We don't watch movies on disk often (maybe once or twice a month at the most) and when we do it's usually a last minute decision... grabbing something at the redbox on the way out of the store or whatever, so it's not really convenient to try to rip the disk to a format that the ATV can stream... unless maybe it's something that could be done in real time... my family isn't patient enough to wait for the whole disk to finish ripping before we start the movie.

Obviously I could always get a standalone Blu-Ray player, but then I have to deal with multiple remotes and switching inputs and such, which is a pain too.

Are there any good options that I'm missing here?

Thanks,
    Brett

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think if you just want to be able to play the occasional disk without ripping it your best bet is just to get a stand-alone player. The inconvenience of an extra remote and an input switch is pretty minor all things considered.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Macbook with DVD (no BluRay) slot or external BluRay drive + VLC + Airplay.

4. AtheistP3ace macrumors 6502a

AtheistP3ace

I use air video hd to stream from my NAS to any iPhone or iPad in house. I hope they make a Apple TV app now that you can. It takes any video format and if it's not supported by Apple it converts it on the fly as you watch. Thing has never let me down. Of course it does require a Computer running Air video hd server. It's great for multiple iOS devices in house accessing movies on the fly. Plus it lets you download them to the device as well as stream. Great for my kid.

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Get an Xbox one and use that as your BD/DVD player. Use the HDMI pass through and you're done.

6. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I haven't been buying disks for years... I'm glad all digital.