Is there a "good way" to charge your iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JonTheRvelator, Jul 5, 2007.

1. JonTheRvelator macrumors member

I'm curious what the best way is to charge my iPhone and when I should do it. Should I wait til its nearly dead, or does it matter if I charge it when its half way full? I'm getting pretty good life out of it currently. I've got about 8 hours of use and over a day of standby since the last full charge, what's weird though is the last time I full charged it was yesterday at like 5, so there is no way its been a day since the last full charge.

weird.

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

These type of batteries it doesn't really mater, but maybe once a month or two, you might want to drain it all the way.

3. erikislame macrumors newbie

hey powerbook, i'm pretty anxious about battery recharge, and many leading electrical engineers will vary their word on how and why rechargeable batteries perform within a lifespan.

could you cite sources on what you're speaking to as far as "These types of batteries?"

Of what i know: The type of battery is just one part of the equation. Another factor is a device (phone, mp3 player, toothbrush) that moderates battery health via charge/discharge software instruction while the device is plugged in. Please let me know if you have any detailed info on this re: iphone.

4. The General macrumors 601

If you knew the answer to your question, then why did you ask it?

5. Madame Defarge macrumors regular

Drain no more than once a month

According to a search I did for "batteries" on the Apple discussion boards, lithium batteries should only be drained once a month.

Also, if you are having trouble getting a full charge, or the battery is draining too quickly, turn off the Wifi function, when not in use.

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

Since the battery dies after so many charges (forgot the number) it made sense to me to only charge it when it's low (red zone). Seems like that would decrease the number of times I charge the phone while extending the life.

7. brwnbooger macrumors newbie

A battery has a limited number of complete charge cycles. If you start with 100% in the morning and use half by the end of the day and charge back 100%... then u will have used only one half of a charge cycle.

It is not recommended to drain your battery down to zero and charge back to full... you will notice that when you do this your iphone, ipod, or powerbook will get much hotter than usual while charging. Heat is a waste of energy and it degrades the battery and electronics. Apple recommends to go down into red zone and charge to complete once a month in order to reset the cycle.... this pretty much keeps the battery meter from screwing up and preventing a full charge.

Basically, charge whenever you feel like and for however long you want but remember to do an empty to full charge every now and then. :apple:

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

my battery loses 80% or more of the charge daily without much usage at all. is this not normal? i use it around 3 hours or so, mostly ust to check email and make calls.

9. vrillusions macrumors regular

vrillusions

Here's what I did/do when I first got mine. At first the battery life was really bad. Sure I was playing with it a lot but only lasting like 5 hours, the battery meter jumped all over the place between having it plugged in and having it not plugged in, etc. A friend mentioned he had similar problems with his ipod when he first got it. What he did was just use the ipod for a little bit, just as long as it's no more than like 75% charged according to the meter. Then when you go to bed plug into the charger (i used the wall plug). In the morning it should be fully charged, or think it is. KEEP IT PLUGGED IN. Restart it (hold down the sleep/wake button until the "slide to turn off" shows up) and leave it plugged in until it says it's fully charged again. Mine thought it was fully charged again after only a few minutes, but I guess it could take a while so you may have to do this completely over a few nights or take it to work and plug it in there. I think the key things are that you leave it plugged in overnight even it says it's fully charged within a couple hours and that you leave it plugged it when you restart it. Worked for me by YMMV.

I did this a couple nights and now the battery meter is pretty stable and I've gone for a couple days without worry. I don't use the ipod part of it too much but the biggest killer of battery life to me is mobile web. Even now browsing around will just kill the battery.

10. skeredmobile macrumors newbie

the site below has great information on the battery used in the iPhone.....

its worth the read....

Read Here....

11. JonTheRvelator thread starter macrumors member

I did something similar and had similar results.