Is there a good way to preserve that "glide-y" coating on a new phone's screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Jul 21, 2014.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I got my iPhone 5 replaced, and am so happy to have that new phone glide-y, almost "lubricated" feel on my screen again. However, I know it won't last and it'll be gone in a few months.

Does anyone know any special care I could take so it lasts longer? Or does it just wear off with time and you can't do anything about it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have no idea what you mean :confused: but I added a screen protector to protect the screen and the olyphobic coating. If you're concerned about something wearing out, then perhaps that's an option/

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think you have two options here to keep that coating.

1. Don't use it.
    2. Put a screen protector over it which will eliminate the feel, but you can remove it months or years later and then have the feel you want still there.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

5. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Please don't post things like this without indicating that it's sarcasm. Sadly, there are way too many people who would take you seriously.

6. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I just bought a bottle off the Apple web site. He was serious.

7. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil works in a pinch...

1. Breathe on phone...
    2. Wipe on shirt
    3. Rub on oil in circular motion once a week to maintain glide status.

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

My skinomi screen protector has kept its glidey feel for months

9. Jaguarr40, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

Is this what you mean:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+apply+anti-fingerprint+oleophobic+coating/9682

IMO there is nothing like a very good screen protector with a lifetime warranty like the many different ones Zagg sells for iPhone. I use their smudge proof and you can even tell it is there, Wipes clean with a Mocrofiber cloth at the end of the day and has a lifetime warranty and even putting it on my 5S, It does not take away from the retina display.

10. Jaguarr40 macrumors regular

Jaguarr40

That is exactly what I did on my 5S even though I gave him a link to look at but there is nothing better to protect the screen as you put it - "Protect the screen and coating like a good screen protector". I chose Zagg myself.

11. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I've had my 5S since October and it still has it (I'm guessing it's the oleophobic coating?). Feels and works just like it did when I walked out of the apple store.

Best advice I can give is don't use liquids to clean it. Not even water if you can help it. Wipe regularly with a micro fiber cloth made for eyeglass lenses.

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I go at my 5 with a screen cleaner every once in a while. Spray a microfiber cloth and wipe the gunk away.

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

The coating is Oleophobic and as a few mentioned unless you put a protector on it, no chance you save it forever. It is there as a marketing gimmick so when you open your brand new iDevice it appears to have some magic ability to withstand finger prints and the oils from your skin, arm, fingers etc... it wears off over the first few months based on how much you use it.

No way to preserve it, and no way to really spray it back on in a manner that will replicate the original treatment done by Foxconn/Apple's factories.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

And with more gestures coming to the iPhone, that coating may as well be left off.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

It's the coating which shows scratches too, in the majority of cases. The screen may have 'Gorilla glass' on top of it, which is scratchable in itself, but the coating over that is extremely easy to scratch. I'd rather they left it off. When and if we get a sapphire screen, they will presumably ruin this by giving it a fingerprint-proof coating which will be inherently scratchable.

16. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78