Is there a guide for tweaking and speeding up a Mac?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by themagichoof, Nov 9, 2013.

1. themagichoof macrumors newbie

I'm buying an older Mac Pro soon (2008-2010 or so). It'll be my first Mac and I'll put Mavericks on it. Seeing as I've been a Windows user for over 20 years, this will be quite the change.

In Windows I'm used to setting up the start menu and control panel, applying registry edits, disabling certain hardware, and uninstalling/disabling 'services', as well as uninstalling/removing software that comes with Windows that I know I'll never use. Some more stuff as well.

I do all of that to speed things up and keep things tidy. I have no idea how to do this for a Mac. Is there some sort of guide out there, even one that's based on an older OS, that will show me a lot of tweaks for speed and workflow?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I've not needed to do anything to my OSX implementation. the OS does a very good job at managing itself imo

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've found it damned refreshing to not have do all that stuff, anymore. :)

4. fessura macrumors member

Yep. Nice to pretty much not need any optimizing. Before I ran defrag once in a while with iDefrag (OS X auto defrags files only smaller than 20 megs). Now with an SSD, don't even need that.

5. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

When you install mavericks, do a clean install. You shouldn't have to worry much about it after that. ;)