Is there a "invisible browser" for web based apps

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by geolej, Oct 7, 2009.

1. geolej macrumors newbie

What Im looking for is like, some browser so I can make it look like the thing at the app store is an "app" but in reality a web browser thats hidden showing the web based app I made.

Or can I somehow submit to Apple a "bookmark icon" or something like that?

2. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Yes it's possible. No I'm not sure they'll accept this. (I'm pretty sure they wont)

I use this for leaderboards in games.

Also, you can't send "bookmark apps".

3. ramkla007 macrumors newbie

You could use Webview inside a View and create a rudimentary app, but not sure if that'll be accepted. No harm in trying?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Why would an app that is essentially a front-end to a webapp be rejected by Apple? Is there something in the SDK Agreement that prohibits this?

5. Kingbombs macrumors member

i agree, i don't see why this might be a problem?

6. firewood macrumors 604

There are lots of apps already in the App store that basically embed an html/css/javascript web site/app inside a UIWebview.

It's a common technique for creating an app. Requires less than one page of Objective C code to create the encapsulated iPhone app.

7. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

If I'm understanding, he just wants a web view that displays a website that is hosted on a server. He doesn't seem to want to read files that are in his app. He seems to just want a bookmark in the form of an icon.

I'm not sure it will be accepted, but there's no harm in trying I guess.

8. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

The issue Apple will have is that a web page could display adult content, so they will probably reject it if it's not rated 17+. They will also reject it if it's not obvious that it accesses the Internet or if it doesn't gracefully deal with Airplane mode or no signal.

9. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

10. firewood macrumors 604

Only if it access arbitrary or adult sites on the internet. But you can lock a web view to 1 page or 1 site to avoid this.

Graceful failover would be true of any networked app, web based or not.

But lots of apps in the App store serve ads off the net and send usage analytics without obvious indication that they're accessing the net. So why would that cause rejection?

11. ramkla007 macrumors newbie

Apple's WWDC session on UIWebview specifically mentions that it's great for webapps that need to be converted to native apps. I think you can safely go ahead with that solution.

12. geolej thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a solution for it:
    Found a sample for UIWeb that does all that I need. Have it pointing towards the site designed using Apple's wonderful Dashcode

The Site if you care to see :)