Is there a "Last Post" section on MacRumors?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by *old-guy*, Nov 28, 2008.

1. *old-guy* macrumors regular

Remember how happy I was when I got my eMac earlier this week?
    My wife killed it. :eek:
    It was sat on a table, not annoying anybody and just waiting to be lifted and taken upstairs to where it was going to be used.
    This morning, she decided to hoover the carpet under the table the eMac was sat on. Of course, this just HAD to be done while I wasn't there. So she just grabs the table and pulls it away from the carpet and the 50 lb eMac fell off the table and died.
    Toot-too- TOOOOOOOT!!!

Still, not to worry, eh?

2. windowpain macrumors 6502a

If I was you I'd be looking for a new one!!

(mac that is,...or maybe a new wife too. ;)

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Commiserations Steve - that is too sad. If it fell heavily - and the eMac is a heavy machine - then internal damage is likely. However, the only thing is to test it. Set it up, even on the floor, see if it'll power on. I understand your disability, which you explained to us, so don't try lifting the machine yourself.

If the eMac is a total goner, you may be able to salvage some parts, like the hard drive, the optical drive, the psu, for sale. In the meantime, as W-pain suggests, start looking online for a replacement. Maybe an iMac G4, not nearly as heavy, and it's sort-of all-in-one.

Keep us posted, there are people ready and willing, even at great distance, to help where they can.

4. *old-guy* thread starter macrumors regular

The idea of getting another one crossed my mind, especially since the Airport Exstreme card and the 512mb RAM chip that I bought to upgrade it arrived this morning.
    I thought about it for all of ten minutes and then bought this ... 320321122021 :)

It has 1GHz instead of 800 MHz and Tiger instead of Panther. This one even comes with a kosher keyboard and mouse. It may not be the right one for the model but it's a Mac one. The seller has sold umpteen of these eMacs with not even a sniff of a complaint from his buyers.
    BTW, we got the eMac back upright and managed to get it onto a lower side table. When I pressed the Go button, the normal BONG was heard but absolutely nothing appeared on screen. Not even the Apple or the spinning disk, (grey and white or multi-coloured) Sure, I could take it o the shop for a look-see but just doing that would probably cost more than the second one I bought and, as you so rightly say, I can take lots of bits from inside the eMac and even sell the outer case as a snow white cat bed, lol

5. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

The 'bong' sound indicates that the hard drive is still intact (they'll withstand a surprising level of physical shock), but with nothing appearing on the screen, I would say that the CRT display is broken inside, or the video card is cracked, or one of the main circuit boards is cracked.

One positive thing that might come out of this is that you become something of an expert in dismantling eMacs. Believe me, they are one of the most difficult computers to work on/in. Here's a link to a manual for eMacs: www.baconeggs.co.uk/manuals/index.htm.webloc

Good luck!

6. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Make one of these! (you may have to buy a cat..but its a small price to pay for something so cool)

Attached Files: